cant get control of my 5yr old daughter and her attitude. any suggestions?

yelling, screaming, stomping feet, backtalk, hitting walls, not eating her dinner, not picking up after herself. just to name a few.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ohhhhhh, controversial but my 5 year old son decides he wants to act this way....I spank that bottom and quickly inform him that I WILL NOT accept that behavior.....he straightens right up.... ;)
    Anonymous

• I got one here myself, and grandparents are here to embrace him.

He screams and runs, bad attitude, terribly short temper. I can pull my hair off now.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I spank that behind and take things away from mine. Want to scream? Spanking! You want to kick? No TV! You want to talk disrespectfully to me? Give me that toy you love so much! Oh now you won't eat dinner? Not another bite of food til breakfast! You won't clean up? Spanking and then cleanup! Still won't cleanup? Repeat spanking, cleanup! Just like novacaine, it'll work eventually! Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My 5yr old son is doing this too. I hope it is a phase. He was mad at me in Walmart this morning beause I wouldn't buy him a costume. He said he was going to call the police and blow me up. I ignored his behavior until we got to the car and then I spanked him on the bottom once and grounded him from almost every favorite toy he has for two days. I told him that kind of behavior is wrong and although it seemed like I was ignoring him, it wasn't going unnoticed. I just simply kept my cool in public. I don't let it embarrass me either. If you still have concerns, a psychologist isn't a bad idea. It gives you and your child another outlet to express your feelings and they can help with discipline suited to your child. Good luck!
    masastan

Answer by masastan at 4:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• You don't have to go crazy but sometimes one firm spank on the butt does wonders. Think about it. Years ago spankings were common and disobedience, vandalism, delinquency, and disrespect weren't. I think there's probably a connection. You also need to speak very quietly and firmly that you will NOT tolerate that kind of behavior and then put her in her room with the instructions that when she's ready to apologize for her behavior she can come out.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 8:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I completely ignore fits and tantrums.
    Whatever started the tantrum stands. You don't get ice cream. You can stand there and scream and fuss and yell, but it doesn't change it, I wont acknowledge it, and sometimes I make fun of it. *Gee, do you hear a baby crying? What a funny baby. I wonder if someone should put the baby to bed?* Nothing like taking yourself so seriously as to get all mad and have no one else take you seriously.

I leave the room. Afterall, what good is a fit with no one to watch it? When it no longer gets you what you want - even if that's just attention or trying to make you as miserable as she is, then it will stop. Until you communicate correctly, you will not be validated.

Hitting walls means you go to your room. Not picking up, again to your room (or other time out) if you wont go, I will put you there.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2008