almost 6 year old still puts stuff in his mouth an chews on everything?

how do i get him to stop? i would think he wouldn't do things like that still.

mommyof2boysmd

Asked by mommyof2boysmd at 6:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wish I could help my 5yr old still puts things in his mouth and chews on his shirts....it drives me nuts, he even swollowed a penny last week!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son does this. i am constantly telling him to get t out of his face whether it's his hand or something he's holding and will take it away if he does not stop. I tell him it is a bad habit. If he continues, I have him go wash his face, which seems to help a little.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My ADHD kids do that all the time. Its like they need to constantly fiddle with things.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:29 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have known a lot of kids with ADHD that do it. I think it gives them something calming to do. I know some friends who give special necklaces they can chew on if they feel the need to chew something.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i don't think he has adhd.
    mommyof2boysmd

Comment by mommyof2boysmd (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Maybe give him something else to chew on? Chewy candy? Gum (I DID NOT JUST SAY THAT!! AAAHHH)
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• my kid's doc suggested that i keep carrots and celery and other things like that in the frig and when she feels like chewing on something to let her go get something that is suppose to go in her mouth. it works sometime. She is 6 now and it is not as bad as it was but it still happens
    AmbersMomma

Answer by AmbersMomma at 1:18 AM on Sep. 7, 2010