how to give medication to baby?

My daughter(6months) has pneumonia and needs to take 3.5mls of medicine every 8hrs. I'm not aloud to dilute it. She was exclusively breastfed until just recently. She hates eating solids and I haven't really tried hard to get her started.
I'm looking for idea on how to give her these meds? I'm the only adult at home during the day so there's no one to help me. She just spits it all up and clamps her mouth shut.
Does anyone have any tips of tricks they have used to get this sickly pink junk down?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 6:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Might be tuff since she can defend herself by batting away your hands and moving her head. Try to Swaddle her tightly so she can't get her hands lose, and if they gave you a medicine dropper just put it in her mouth aim for the side but far enough in that it will go down her throat. my LO was 3 weeks and she kept spitting everything out too keep at and she will get used to the med. If the dropper doesn't work try and use a small bottle, or they make pacifiers that can administer medicine.
    Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Kidz-Med-Pacifier-Medicine-Dispenser/dp/B000CQXOM8
    Just as an example but they make cheeper versions that they sell at Walmart and Target if you can get to a store.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Lay her down, have the medicine in the syringe all ready squirt some in her mouth and blow quick and hard in her face. It makes them swallow. My grandmother told me this when my oldest was 6 months old. I thought she was nuts until I tried it and it works every time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Recline her in a feeding position (as if you were bottle or breast feeding her), insert the oral syringe into her mouth, pointing the tip toward the back of her cheek. keep the syringe in her mouth until she swallows so that she can't spit it up. Give her lots of love and cuddles! Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• what Kword said. also, try holding her nose so she has to swallow it. GL, thankfully my kids loved taking medicine.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They sell small medicine bottles, like real bottles but really small....they are awesome! thats the only way I got anti biotics into my 6 month old. They were bought for me from my shower but i got two so they cant be that hard to find. GL
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. If you push it into her cheek she cant spit it out :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I dont think they are sold in the bottle section...they are sold with the baby care section.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010