Religion & Relationships

Do you and your spouse or S/O share the same religion/spiritual beliefs? Was/is it important to you to be with someone with the same beliefs as you?

Nsbgirl

Asked by Nsbgirl at 6:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• no and no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It was not an issue for us when we married because I love, love, love him no matter. Now we are different in beliefs and I still love, love, love him. I am more interested in learning but NOT because of some trauma or drug binge opr because I was a prostitute.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• yes it was. i want my kids and our kids to have the same moral values and beliefs that our church teaches and is founded on. we both feel very strongly that our kids go on missions and get married in the temple and have external temple marriages. we couldn't have that fulfilled if we were of opposite religion. once he said that at one time in his life that it wasn't that important to him to marry a member but he was glad that he did and feels it's very important that his children do as well. when he felt that way he was inactive church member. i took me to make him see that if he wanted to be with me he had to return to the church cause i wanted to set the example for my children and my belief in the church is so strong and i know that the lord will bless us for raising our children according to his gospel.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, we are. In the beginning, we got along so well I didn't even think to ask him if he was religious. It was a long time into the relationship before the subject of religion even came up and I found out he was an atheist too. I could maybe be with someone who had some different beliefs, but not someone who was religious. I obviously would have known if he was very religious during the course of our relationship if he had been talking about god or church or prayer or whatever.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Kind of. Neither of us belong to any particular sect of religion,but I consider my self spiritual where he's more Agnostic-ish

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Oh,and yes. i didn't want to be with someone who was particularly set in their ways. I'd rather be with someone who had an open mind.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, and yes.
    LindyCam

Answer by LindyCam at 6:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We are both atheists. It is important to me that we both can agree in terms of how we are teaching our children. What we expose them too....what we will teach them. That is very important to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No and No...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I was raised that it was VERY important but by the time I was grown and finally met my DH it wasnt to me personally(although it was still a big deal to my family and it irked them he wasnt a church member).

When we got together and married we werent exactly in the same boat but over the last few years we've both found our path that we were meant to be on and its very similar...just a few differences.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010