My 2 year old daughter has a major eating problem. It is a huge struggle at most meals-any suggestions? Making meals look pretty doesn't help either.

We have to give her a supplement shake because she will not eat any veggies (except for pureed baby food veggies). The only fruits she will eat are apple and banana, but not with any consistency. Her eating problem is so frustrating. I've tried making meals look fun to eat and have used other tactics, but nothing seems to work. The pediatricians never seem concerned about it when I ask. I dread mealtimes.

HeatheranninSP

Asked by HeatheranninSP at 6:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It irks me when people just say they are picky get over it, Have you thought about the textures you are trying to feed her? Some kids are super sensitive to food textures and canhave oral motor feeding issues as well as gag reflexes and sensory problems with food. I agree if she will eat junk food it isnt a texture thing but if she consistenly doesnt eat ANYTHING or very limited foods you could take her to a speech pathologist who deals with oral motor and feeding issues to get checked out. Have you tried making healthy smoothies for her? also its okay if she eats a limited variety as long as she is meeting her nutritional needs. GOOD LUCK!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Cook it, place i in front of her and that's it. If she eats fine, if not save it for later and do not offer something else. A picky eater is common, it is a power struggle. When she gets hungry she will eat. Don't make it a game, or beg her to eat. It really just gives her power to get what she wants. The ped was not concerned because it so common for toddlers to so this. You are not doing anything wrong and she will not starve.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• not an eating problem! just a picky eater phase EVERY child goes through! Just keep offering the foods. Don't force her to eat them or scold if she doesnt, and dont go crazy screaming with joy if she tries them lol. Have some yourself and show her how you eat it! You can also hide foods. if she wont eat spinach, puree it and mix it in some pasta sauce or with scrambled eggs. if she likes yogurt, mix in some fruit w/ it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• why is it a major eating problem? 1/2 the kids I know are just low appetite kids....that is their style until they start a growth spurt and then suddenly they are normies. I would ask for a urine check to see if she dumps protein (routine at 5 years old to rule out kidney disfunction).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• has she been seen by a specialist?? Maybe she has problems with textures and needs therapy to work with her... if she will eat other things with texture (like junk foods with texture it's probably NOT the issue)
    If she is just being picky, then don't allow it. Don't give into her and don't offer foods just to make her happy. Make 1 meal, take it or leave it... she'll learn to eat what you serve.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 2 yr old son...he wont eat any veggies or fruits or meat...he just wants junk food i have tried everything to get him to eat..and nothing...the dr told us to keep trying and to give him a supplement(pediasure) I really hate that he doesnt eat anything.
    miranda0308

Answer by miranda0308 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Stop supporting her picky eating. Fix dinner for the family. Put some food on her plate. Tell her to eat it. If she refuses. Throw it away and tell her she will eat nothing else tell the next meal. When feeding her do not give her anything to drink but water. Kids fill up on the sweet drinks. and nothing but water between meals either. If she eats she gets milk or whatever you let her drink after. She will not starve herself.  I did this with my kids. I never had a problem getting them to eat.

Answer by louise2 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010