How do you know when your water breaks or your mucous brane comes out?

Ashley162

Asked by Ashley162 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• what's a mucous brane? do you mean mucus plug?

well the mucus plug will look like a wad of snot with possibly some red/brown to it.

water break will feel like a big gush or sometimes just small leaking while walking.
    Anonymous

• As the previous poster said the mucus plug looks like a big goober, when my water broke with both of my kids there was a big gush.
    Anonymous

• From my personnel experience............My mucus plug was creamy or brown looking and it looked a little like gel or jelly. When my water broke, I had no clue. I had used the restroom and when I wiped and put my panties back on it felt like I hadn't wiped. By the time I had called EVERYONE to find out if that was my water and I went to change my clothes, it looked like I was peeing on the floor. I started crying.....hey!!!......I was scared and ALL alone! lol.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My mucus plug was like thick egg white with red streaked through it. When my water broke it felt like a water balloon pops inside me. I did not get any gushing just a small leak. A reg pad was all I wore but when my contractions got really bad, if I was standing it would gush and it didn't matter that I was wearing a pad.
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• my experience was with the mucus plug was a big ball of snot about the size of a golf ball-scared the shit outta me. LOL When my water broke, it was a big gush and did that through out the day, was weird and nasty because you feel like youve peed all over yourself. I remember I took a shower after my water gushed the first time and the second I got my cloths on, it did it again-lol had to change again and I remember telling hubby to put a trash bag over the car seat, so i wouldnt get it wet if I did it again and I also sat on a towel. LOL Was weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I agree with everyone else's responses. Mucus plugs may come out all at once in a wad that can vary in color and it looks like a big ball of mucus, or it can come out in pieces. Also, water breaking though I have yet to experience it {im 36 weeks now} this is what my ob told me: it will either be a gush and u may wonder if u peed urself, or it will be like ur leaking fluid. If you are leaking and u aren't sure, then I know this sounds gross but put on a pad and after it gets wet, smell it {this is what ob and at home nurse said}, ur water has NO odor at all, whereas urine does. Also, my OB said if u think ur water broke, don't clean up...they will need to test the fluid to make sure it's ur water at L&D and if ur all scrubbed up then they have to wait for enough to leak to be able to check it...so if u think it broke, put on a pad and then go to l and d
    Mers1803

Answer by Mers1803 at 2:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• my at home nurse and I just went over all this last week so I wanted to add this when ur water breaks ur supposed to note what time it broke, sit down {if ur not at home, u can just go home first}, call the doctor, they will want to know when it broke and what color it is...green means goNOW..clear means u still need to go out, but u don't have to be in a mad dash..also pay attention to how much ur baby is moving after ur water broke, the doc will want to know that too..the reason for it all is that depending on the hospital they want the baby out anywhere from 24-48 hours from when ur water broke so they need to know the exact time and if ur baby had it's first bm inside u already...
    Mers1803

Answer by Mers1803 at 2:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Mucus plug looks just like you blew your nose into your panties possibly streaked with blood. The water breaking is anytime you feel like you are getting WET in your panties but can't stop the flow. If you're peeing, you could stop it or pretty close. Sometimes it's a big gush like the amount of a big soda or sometimes just a little like a few tablespoons but it keeps on coming just slow. I heard the water break in my second pregnancy, it sounded like a champagne cork! Pop! lol Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• all i can say is..You Just Know. you'll understand when it happens.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 5:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• my mucus plug was like light pink and some clear stuff and maybe some white then later that night my water broke. it felt like nothing to me but maybe a little like peeing.
    Anonymous