How can I get my 9 month old more interested in eating?

It's really hard to get her to pay attention. She's hungry but it seems like she's more interested in whats going on around her than eating.

seecb

Asked by seecb at 6:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you feeding her,or is she self feeding? She's fine nutrition wise with just breastmilk or formula if that's your concern.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When our son was younger we would just eat with him. When he actually saw us eating he would eat. If I sat down just to feed him he wouldnt eat and want to do other things. Just give yourself a bite and then give her a bite. We just showed him that we were doing the same thing and he picked up that it was eating time. He doesnt like when we put to much attention on him and he is eating by himself. I hope this helps some. Good luck
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I feed her babyfood of course. I don't think I wanna just give her formula. She eats but she just doesn't seem into it.
    seecb

Comment by seecb (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Seterah1010- that is a good idea (: My mother said the same thing. I will definitely have to try that! Thank you!
    seecb

Comment by seecb (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Try allowing him to eat with you at regular meals with table food. Baby food is unappetizing and isn't needed especially at hef age. Allow her to self feed. Give her whatever healthy or homemade food you are eating. Read this (it is worth your while, especially the gil rapely article): baby led solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have never heard of not giving babies baby food. lol. I'll think I will stick with baby food and other soft foods until she is one and has teeth.
    seecb

Comment by seecb (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I make it a point where we sit down as a family to eat. Also I turn off the TV or else my DD will be too interested in watching that instead of eating.
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 7:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think I will start eating together with her. I always feed her in the kitchen though.. (What is a DD?)
    seecb

Comment by seecb (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• DD= dear daughter :] We live in an apartment so the 'dining' area is right where there living room is :]
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 7:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Babies never need babyfood. They can feed themselves fork mashed foods at 6 mo. It's better for them to feed themselves. Spoonfeeding is a no-no. Babies don't need teeth. Commercial babyfood is like junk food for babies. Real food is better for the baby, tastes better, is cheaper, and is better for the environment.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010