Getting pregnant while breastfeeding?

I need as much advise as I can get about conceiving while breastfeeding. I just had my first period after baby (11 months) and am hoping to conceive #2 soon. However I'm worried since baby gril has upped her nursing because she's teething that my cycles won't keep coming. I've always nursed on demand and want to continue to do so as much as possible. Other than the last two days dd had been going 5 hours mid day without nursing. So we have been moving some nursing sessions farther apart. Is there anything else that I can be doing? I want baby #2 so badly but I don't want to take away from my daughter in any way.

Is anyone else in the same situation?

Calleighsmommy2

Asked by Calleighsmommy2 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• You will probably have to wait tell you ween her to get pregnant.

Answer by louise2 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You can still get prego while breast feeding. Take folic acid and vitamins to keep your health up. Good luck
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 7:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I've been taking my multi-vitamin...why the folic acid also? Sorry I know nothing bout ttc dd wasn't planned.
    Calleighsmommy2

Comment by Calleighsmommy2 (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would wait a little longer.It will be tough on your body while it's changing if you are having another baby so soon.Wait till your daughters done breast feeding.Give yourself more time to share with your baby while she is your only one.Once there is 2 you will always be tired and in demand.So think about it.
    Dianasailmom

Answer by Dianasailmom at 7:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I became preg with #3 while breastfeeding #2. Plus I was using bc. My dr told me I needed to stop nursing #2 to keep #3. He told me the breast milk was pulling all the nutrients from my body and not enough was going to my unborn baby. So I quit nursing and now I have 3 wonderful children. I did wish that I had more time to nurse my dd, but we love her sister so much it wasn't mush of an issue.
    everydaymom1220

Answer by everydaymom1220 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• you can still get pregnant while breastfeeding... =)
    I'm not sure if ovulation test will work since you are breast feeding though. but it's always worth a try.. plus...take your vitamins, eat small healthy meals every couple hours and be active.

p.s. as for what Diana, untrue... your body is remarkable and is ready to convieve just a few short months after delivery!
    (weather you are is totally up to you!)

All in all I would say... have sex as often as possible and keep your fingers crossed... if its meant to be so soon it will happen
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 7:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not only can you get pregnant while breastfeeding but you can nurse while pregnant.

I nursed my first child for several months before my milk dried up. Very few women have to stop breastfeeding their child during pregnancy.

Take Vitex to raise your progestrone levels and help you cycle regularly.

Folic acid will not actually DO anything for you as far as TTC is concerned. It's to prevent nurilogical tube defects during the first trimester. If you are taking a prenatal vitamin which you should be since you are nursing it should contain plenty of folic acid.
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Is your baby over 6 months?

Are you or have you added any foods or formula besides breast-milk to you baby?

Are you offering your baby a pacifier?

Have you started your cycle?

If you have answered YES to ANY of those questions, you have a much higher chance to become pregnant.

And I'm not sure why Kate is recommending you meds.

PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not take this product if you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using this product, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby. Read more: Vitex

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• i was wondering the same things. i ahve baby fever
    Avetay

Answer by Avetay at 11:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2010