Stripping membranes

OK my body is preparing itself and I am already 1 (possibly 1 1/2)cm dialated and 60% effaced as of this past Saturday. Is the membrane stripping more effective when your starting to dialate and efface? I will be 38 weeks next Tuesday and I go back to my OB next Wednesday so that's why I am asking. I am in so much pain and having a hard time caring for my 2 year old since my hubby is working and going to collage full time... So if all you are going to do is be rude or bash me then please do not answer. Thank you for your time.

aquarianmom69

Asked by aquarianmom69 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was 2cm dilated at 37 weeks pregnant... My doctor started stripping my membranes then(37 weeks).... I saw the Dr. once a week AND got my membranes stripped every time, I went into labor on my due date so i was a full 40 weeks and was still 2 cm dilates. lol the stripping didn't help me! I was also given pitocin(sp) to help my labor along. Hopefully it helps you but it didnt help me :(

Sorry about the spelling and abbreviations lol... Im holding a hyper baby
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 7:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I was 38 weeks with my daughter and 3 cm dialated. like you I was MISERABLE!! I asked my doctor if there was anything she could do. she did strip my membranes, it was horribly uncomfortable but right after she did it I had a HUGE contraction and kept contracting after that. I didnt want it to go away so me and my husband went for a super long walk and my contractions continued and the next day my daughter was born!! So stripping membranes definitely worked for me!! But keep in mind it only works if your body is ready to go into labor, but you do sound a lot like how I was so it is very possible that you could have success with it!! Good luck and congrats!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Dilation really has nothing to do with how soon labor will begin.. But it has been said that stripping of membranes is more effective if you are already beginning to dilate. It worked for me at 40 weeks, 3 days. I was 2 cms dilated, and had my membranes stripped, went walking for a couple of hours, and labor begin that same day! Had my daughter about 14 hours after having my membranes stripped.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i was 4cm and about 75% effaced. i had her the next day, but i know alot of woman who had it done and they actually went pass 40 wks. i was 38 wks when i had it done. it works for some for others it doensnt do anything at all.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010