Why does my 4 yr old bite his nails and toe nails?

So a couple months ago my son started biting his nails and today I noticed him biting his toe nails...I've tried making him stop biting his nails but he seems to do it out of habit now so should I just leave him be and what could be a cause?

n_o71605

Asked by n_o71605 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because he can!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son has been doing that since he was two years old. It's a sensory issue with him. He has mild autism. Have you ever asked you son why he does it? Some times it can be nerves or a way to clam your self. Boredom even.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I did that as a child lol sad to say nothing really MADE me stop... I just kinda grew out of it after a couple years.

My mom bought this clear nail polish that tasted HORRIBLE...(totally safe too)

Even though it didnt get me to stop 100%
    I did it less since I would have to spend time picking it off little by little haha

goodluck
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 7:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When I ask him he gets embarrassed and will just hide and continue doing it maybe you are right ally25 and it may just be boredom...thanks for all the feedback
    n_o71605

Comment by n_o71605 (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i have the same problem. my middle girl also sucks her thumb. i'm not sure if that has to do with it or not. she tells me she doesn't know why and then keeps doing it. she's not shy.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have heard that sometimes it can be a zinc defficancy. Call your dr.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 7:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Keep his nails trimmed so there's nothing to chew on.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010