When is the most appropriate time to get back to work with a new baby ? Is it safe to his mental health to leave him to a nanny for about 8 hours a day?

nance209

Asked by nance209 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think the mental health of a newborn is in jeopardy if he's with an able bodied adult.
    Go back when you're healed and feel you can go back.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's not going to hurt him for you to go back to work as long as you do your research and leave him with a capable provider. You'll want to make sure the provider has some of the same beliefs as you do on child care though because that is one of the main problems my friends seemed to have when they went back to work. As long as you do your research and you feel comfortable, then I would say it would be ok. Have the caregiver over for an hour or two, and you just sit back and watch how she interacts with your child and how your child responds to her. But no, it's not detrimental to his mental health :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes it is safe as long as the Nanny is a GOOD one, who will be kind and nurturing. RESEARCH WELL. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I went back at 10 weeks. She has done just fine and I am gone for somedays 11 hours. I looked into several daycare providers until I found one that complimented my parenting style
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• boo! that baby needs his mom, not a stranger! JMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010