Stop breastfeeding

Help my daughter will be 1 real soon and I want stop breastfeeding. She only does at night. So I know when I stop she is going to flip out because it is what gets her to sleep. Any tips.

Liz003

Asked by Liz003 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is less than 12 mo breastfeeding should still be her main source of nutrition for brain growth. The World Health Org recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. There are many advantages for toddlers to continue breastfeeding. I wouldn't know how to wean a child that young, my 3 nursed beyond 2 years. My grandson is 23 mo and still nursing strong despite his mother working.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Why are you assuming she will flip out when you stop breast feeding? She is old enough to go to sleep all by herself. My son didn't flip out ..but then , he was a very happy and calm baby--he just didn't freak out. He was a good sleeper because I allowed him to be. :-)
    Good luck and don't expect the worst...it will be fine.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• 12 months is a MAJOR growth spurt. It's one of the worst times to try weaning. Can you wait until at least after that?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I did all mine @ one. They did just fine!! How many kids do you have amileegirl? When did you wean? You cant allways go by something you read..........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my kids completely quit at 14 months, 21 months and 15 months. i thought it would be hard every time, but it didn't bother anyone! the twins actually laughed at me!!!
    i kind of regret not nursing through the twins 2 yr molars though. breast feeding is the best way to get through the teething!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I stopped at 1 years. We started gradual weaning around 10 months. He did not freak out either.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think it would be much better if you waited :)
    nance209

Answer by nance209 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i would look it up on kellymom just google weaning and kellymom. gl
    btw i agree that it would be best to let baby self-wean in a year or 2 (unless there are some special circumstances we don't know about) but it's obviously up to you :D
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• She's too young to already be receiving that little milk. If you're having a hard time weaning, then it's not time to wean.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010