How can I relieve my babies gas??

I have a 1 month old with reflux, which has gotten undercontrol with the help of prilosec ( thank god) BUT is very very gassy. Well, at least we think he is. After just about every feeding, he arches his back, gets red in the face & screams bloody murder. What I have found to somewhat help was to massage his belly, & pull his knees towards his chest. We have tried Mylicon gas drops after his feedings, & they somewhat help. Does anyone have any other suggestions to help my little guy relieve his gas? Our only other option what it could be was that he was just plain colicky :( Please help!!

LDA33

Asked by LDA33 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mylicon drops or Gripe Water added to his feeds.  Bicycle his legs or push his knees up to his chest. Place prone for tummy time while awake.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It does sound like colic. Sisteract gave you good advice.
    I thought reflex only happened in older adults who eat too much and then lie down and nap!!! LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Excuse me : REFLUX.
    gertie41

• I lay them on my lap on their tummy to burp them. It helps to move the gas out. Also, stop often to burp during feedings.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• burp often do bicycle excerises and little tummys gas relief or gripe water. that helped the best with my dd she didnt have reflux but lots of gas and colic. also try sitting them up in the bouncer or in your lap for a while after they eat or in the swing in a more upright position.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• sounds like what ive been going through with my month old daughter, try gripe water-and if he is on formula id def switch it.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Gripe Water! You can get it at babies r us. My son is now 5 months. I was in your shoes. He was diagnose with reflux at 6 weeks old and we went through the trail and error of the meds and I agree that prilosec worked wonders! If your formula feeding you can also try switching his formula. We found that Enfamil Gentlease works wonders. I can say at 3 months the colic went away and the reflux got better! Hang in there!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I found it real good to use the dr brown bottles. I do not know if you have but it has helped alot for those that have had similar problems.
    alysialusmar

Answer by alysialusmar at 10:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Try a different bottle. He may be getting too much air in the bottle. Dr. Brown's bottles are very good. We used those when my son was a baby and had really bad reflux, but he never got bad gas once we switched to the Dr. Brown's. If you're nursing, take a look at your diet and see if there's anything you're eating that could be causing the gas. I couldn't eat broccoli with my son, and I can't eat certain beans now that I'm nursing my daughter.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• put a peppermnt candy in a 4oz bottle of water let the candy dissolve shake the bottle and let him drink it. works like a charm. let me know if this helps
    Alice T.

Answer by Alice T. at 11:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010