Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

what's your opinion?

What would you think would be a good reason to go on social assistance/welfare?

My dh and i are thinking about applying for social assistance/welfare because he is very ill and can not work. Also he can not stay home with our dd because he is not capable of watching her in his condition. We are unable to get a sitter/daycare provider to watch her because the town we live in is so small.
Do you think we have a legit reason for wanting help from social assistance until we figure out what is wrong with my dh?
We have worked for 12 years, i no that's not alot but when he get's better if we do get on social assistance then he would be able to go back to work again and we could get off social assistance. What do you think?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I would rather my tax dollars go to supporting you than a single mom who has babies just to stay on assistance with out working. No saying that I dont want single moms to be on assistance, just I have seen alot of single mom have another kid just so the state will keep paying her cable bill.

    Answer by browningmom at 8:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • situations like yours is why p.a was created. go ahead and apply mama

    Answer by 3xangel at 11:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • Not grr..

    Answer by browningmom at 8:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • Perhaps you can find daycare through a local church? I would call a few and see what they have to offer. If you are in a rural area look on the Head Start program for your area. That provides free/low cost day care to rural families who have no other place to go to. That way if you had stable daycare, you could get a job and help the family get by. If you still need help with Food Stamps, then I would say that was a good use of the tax dollars spent. I do not look down on anyone who needs a temporary hand UP while situations like this are involved. TANF is another program Temporary Aid to Needy Families. Temporary is the key word, it is like a year or less. Good luck. I don't know where you are located, but if you want me to do some research on your area send me a message and I will find out what is out there.


    Answer by Joeygoat at 8:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

  • i dont think its wrong i think you shoudl apply because you need it that will take a lot of presure off from your hubby and hopefully he can get better. hope you guys find out whats wrong with him and best wishes for you guys. if the help they give you isnt enouph then you can try finding a close friend or a family member to babysit your daughter while you go out and find a job or something inc ase what you get is not enouph or incase you hubby needs something that wont get paid bgood luck

    Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

  • Your husband should try applying for disability.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010