me and my 3 year old r moving into a 1 bdroom apartment. any tips on how to arrange the furniture. its a pretty small space, but im gonna make the best of it.

i am coming from a 3 bdrm house. shes very used to having her own room and having lots of toys. i currently have a full size bed and she has a twin.

iluvmybabe

Asked by iluvmybabe at 8:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I only have one tip from having children with too many toys, I would pack up some of her toys and when she got bored with what she had I would bring out the 'new' toys and then pack up all the things she is bored with. If it is a one bedroom with a living room/eat in kitchen, then I say give your dd the bedroom, it will be less traumatic on her and if it only going to be a short term thing, you can manage with the twin bed in the living room made up like a day bed. To find storage in a small place, I purchased plastic garbage cans, I would store out of season clothes in some, extra food/dry goods in others, then I put a cut out circle of plywood on top and then covered it with a small table cloth. You get some end tables with storage. Use every square in of wall space to hang things on. If you get a chance to go to a library and see Martha Stewart's September 2010, they did an amazing makeover of a home office!

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• There are lots of different choices. What may work best is for her to have the bedroom and for you to sell some of your stuff and get a new futon for the living room. You don't want to get used because of the bed but problems right now. You could keep your clothes in the bedroom. Keep only your favorite things or things that are really practical.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i would get a comfy couch and leave her with her own room so she doesn't get too comfortable with mommy being there all the time and you have your space. or put her twin in the front room with a day bed frame and big pillows.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Wow is the bedroom a seprate room or is it all one room? If the room is sepreate then I would set it up just for her and her toys and put all the clothes in there. Then in living room i would have your bed set up out there in a corner. then arange your living room as a big bedroom for yourself. Then your DD has her own space and so don't you but she has her own room so to speak.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my mom did this same thing when I was about 8yr. what she did was let me have my own room and she slept in the living room on a sleeper sofa. since she when to bed way after I did and woke up before me, I hardly ever saw the bed out. it worked for us.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My husband and I had a 1 bedroom when we were first married. I already had a son. So we gave my son the bedroom and we got a sleeper sofa for us. The living room was really long so we eventually ditched the sleeper and portioned off the back part of the L.V. to make a bedroom area for us with a real bed.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i would do the same thing about giving dd the bedroom. For you, a sleeper sofa, an ottoman w/storage that way u can put your pillows and sheets even your jammies in, the end tables could double as your night stand. Get one with drawers it'll be helpful. your clothes in the bedroom. Hope everything comes works out for you.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010