What to expect when being induced

I am 6 days overdue. I go in tomorrow night to start the induction process. Ive heard of cytotec and not to use it so I have expressed this concern to my dr. I have had several miscarriages over the last couple years and a couple drs had told me I would not be able to get pregnant. I am terrified that something will go wrong. Can anyone please tell me what to expect, and any ideas on keeping my mind calm until tomorrow. Thank you

thanthorn

Asked by thanthorn at 8:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Expect labor to happen. I don't know how much pain you'll feel or how much you'll be able to tolerate. But they will run an IV and i think the med will be added thru the iV. They will keep you on the monitor to see how baby handles contractions. Epidurals are there just in case you want one. Otherwise you just labor on until delivery. Go in with a positive attitude because they are prepared for most anything that could happen. Just stay focused on the end result of holding your little one.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Pray and everything will be ok.
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When I was induced with my 3rd they started the pitocin drip via IV. It wasn't long until contractions started and I got an epidural when I was 5 cm dilated. The pitocin was started at 6 and my daughter was born just after 11. It was much less eventful than my 1st vaginal delivery was! Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You can expect to get there early and spend all day waiting for labor to really get going. I was induced with my 3rd at 7am and didn't have him until almost midnight. With my 2nd they induced at 7am and he wasn't born until almost 11pm. They'll start an IV, start the pitocin drip, break your water and then just wait...
    The only quick birth I had was my 1st where I wasn't induced.
    All my boys were over due as well.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Relax and go with the flow and be patient. That's really all you can do when it comes to labor.

As far as induction, the first thing they did was have me change into a hospital gown and start the IV, hook up the belly monitor, etc. Then they started the pitocin. About 15 min later the doc came and broke my water (if I remember correctly I was about 2 cm at the beginning. And then you wait... and wait... and wait. I highly recommend taking a deck of cards, a book and Bananagrams (or some other simple small game).

I could see on the monitor that the contractions were strong and fairly close, but I didn't really start to get uncomfortable until maybe 8 hours in? I got to 5cm fairly well, and then got stuck there (the baby was hung yup on my pelvis). So after 14 hours on pitocin I ended up with a c-sec. I didn't have any pain meds until after I was in the operating room. Spinals are not my friend.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If it makes you feel any better, I didn't think the pitocin was horrible. I know everyone has their own experience, but they're not all bad. Also, the c-sec was nowhere near as bad as I expected, so don't let those freak you out either.

The important part is to relax and get ready to hold that beautiful baby! I don't think I've ever talked to anyone (no matter how horrible the labor/birth story) that didn't say it was worth it in the end.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Oh, and fwiw, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have them wait to break my water. For me, it didn't help speed anything up (though I know it does with some people), and they didn't tell me until after it was done, but at my hospital they won't let you out of bed once your water is broken (because you could slip on the fluids). Bed pans are not fun, especially when they're pumping you full of fluids.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Awesome you know about the pill! I was clueless & took it :(.... I took the pill 3pm, then a few hours later they broke my water 6pm.. Then I got the pitocin i think 7-8pm.. waited.. waited... the monitor said i was contracting but couldnt feel a thing! ..... OK.. its getting late so i tried to rest (ya who can sleep when they know they are hours away from motherhood!?).. Then i think 11pm...... <<<<>>>>>> ..... Contractions came in one after another. just like the sea rolls into shore.. I labored with a drug in my IV ( I DIDNT WANT IT! But my mother told them to give me anything to relieve pain now! UGH!) for IDK how long.. the drug just made me drunk... it wore off.. I labored naturally the rest of the time & dd came at 3:30am..
    Id do everything i can to get as less as possible next time.. the less drugs the better (for me)..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thank you for all the advice. I know when all is said and done it will be worth it and I wouldnt change it for anything in the world, just incredibly nervous. My husband is amazing and very supportive but just doesnt understand so it was nice finding this website and getting such great responses with my first question! Thanks again!
    thanthorn

Comment by thanthorn (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Research into how you can help things progress..
    I know sometimes nipple stimulation, sex, walking, is good..
    I dont know if you go to get induced + try some nipple stimulation when the nurses arent bothering you will help any.. lol.. but its worth a try!!
    Good Luck!! :) Just stay positive & know you & your baby CAN do this! Tell your baby its time! NOW!! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010