grease can?

we were talking about it at school, and a grease can was mentioned. do you have a can that you hold your bacon grease in? do you refrigerate it or leave it sit on your stove? do you feel wierd using it or having others see you use it? it's a very country thing to have a grease can, my grandmother had one and i would if i liked bacon, but i don't.

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my grandma did the same thing!!! i thought i was the only one!!!!
    tylersmommy54

Answer by tylersmommy54 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes, but not to reuse. I just put the grease from bacon, ground beef, etc. in it to harden and then dump in the trash. It would mess up our septic tank to put the grease down the sink.

Answer by missanc at 9:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• no,yucky! You mean the grease is re-used?! Mmmm,healthy! :)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I use to have one...Mine came with a lid and had a strainer inside to get the "crumbs". We left it sitting out beside the stove if we wanted a little flavor in the food
    hi.everyone

Answer by hi.everyone at 8:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No, I use to have one, but not anymore.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have always had one. Most times it's in the fridge. But, once in a while, it will sit out over night till the next morning. No harm done. I use it to fry eggs, make gravy, flavor green beans, flavor refried beans, stir into mashed potatoes on occasion, flavor grits, to grease my muffin tins for corn muffins...gosh, I use it for lots of things! I'm 51 years old. I learned this from my grandma. And, our family does NOT have high colesrerol.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I use a paper plate normally and throw it out afterwards. I don't want it clogging up my drain pipes when I do dishes.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• LOL...I have a jar in my fridge of nicely strained bacon grease. It is handy in a bind and add smokey flavor to all sorts of things. Normally when I drain my pans, hey go in a cup until solid and then tossed. Pouring grease down the drain is a no-no! In the winter when i gets cold that stuff solidifies and block up the sewers. Funny thing, our great great grandmothers would take this rendered fat and mix it with lye to make soap.... yep, that is what soap is made from!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I used to keep a coffee can for grease, back when they were metal. It clogs your drain to dump it. (And here in CA, you are supposed to recycle your kitchen grease because it's "haz mat".
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2010