Am i wrong?

When I have this baby(due Jan 7th) I don't want any visitors until s/he has had its first shots. No exceptions. This includes aunt uncles and grandparent. If we're in the hospital then I have no problem with visitors(as long as I know your coming). But if you don't live in my household you don't get to see the baby until the first shots. Its gonna be winter time and a lot of germs and I just don't want to expose the baby to it. My eldest son was born in feb but I was in highschool and lived with my mom && even though I told her I didn't want visitors she sent people to my roomto see the baby anyway. It pisses me off til this day. But now its my home and my rules. My family thinks I'm wrong and being stingy. Dh family thinks I'm being a bitch. What do you think?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It sounds like you need to set some boundaries. Tell people that they are not welcome to come by unannounced, that you will only be answering the door for people who were considerate enough to make appointments. And only people you know. Uninvited guests are not welcome. Make this clear. I think that's reasonable, regardless. No one likes having people stop by unannounced with random people, especially with a new baby. Again, be firm and set some boundaries. Even put a sign on the door and invest in a good lock if that's what it takes, but do take appointments, or, another suggestion I've heard is having an open house, where for 2 or 3 hours, you let people come over to meet the baby, but that's it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Do you mean until 2 months,or the shots they get at the hospital? Those don't kick in right away.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If that's how you feel....
    You may reconsider. You may not. I don't understand your reasoning and I don't agree but it's your baby, not mine.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They dont start getting their shots for a while. While I understand your concern, how about a compromise- no one comes over if they are sick- not even a sniffle. Have hand sanitizer handy to use before they hold the baby. Believe me, I know that as a parent, we want to wrap them up in a protective little bubble- but to deny family from seeing the new addition to the family for such a long time seems a tad bit excessive.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not only do their shots not come for a couple of months, but then it takes the immune response some time to build up immunity. So you're talking, realistically, about 3 months of keeping your baby in hiding. There is more risk taking your baby out into the world, around people you don't know, in crowded places like the grocery store or mall, than there is in having people you know come over.
    I can understand your reasoning; as a nursing student and midwifery student, I understand how susceptible babies are to disease when they are that little. They get a good amount of immunity from breast milk, if you choose to breastfeed (honestly the best immune defense). They build up their own immunity by being exposed to germs little by little, and the more we've sanitized our world, the more we're seeing an emergence of asthma and allergies.
    If you choose to have visitors, it's not unreasonable to ask them to wash their hands ...
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• While I think a mother has the right to refuse visitors, I think you're rules are a little harsh. That's two whole months you're telling family that they can't be around. If you are breast feeding, then your baby will have your immunity anyway. Just make sure anyone who is sick doesn't come over, and keep a bottle of purel around for people who do come over. That's just my opinion though. If my sister, or sister in law told me I couldn't go near her baby or even SEE the baby for two months, I'd probably take some offense. It's your baby, but having a baby is a family event.

When my son was born my brother didn't call or stop by or anything for months afterward... I'd consider yourself blessed that so many people care and are excited to welcome your baby into the world.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Lord, how did ANY of us survive to whatever ripe old age we happen to be? Think about what you're saying here. Every baby gets these shots. So, we've ALL had them. So, I doubt anybody will bring in ANY of those diseases into your house since we've ALL had our shots. As for any other germs...the world is one big germ. Your own house isn't even germ free. No matter how clean it is. There are BILLIONS of babies on this earth that were visited, handled and loved before they got their shots. Some didn't even get them. And, they didn't get sick & die. It's your baby, yes. Also your husband's. But, he has to live with you. It's your thoughts & you have a right to those thoughts. But, honestly, I think you're MAJORLY OVER-REACTING! It's not out of place to ask people who are obviously sick (cold, etc) to be courteous enough not to come see the baby. But, otherwise healthy people...no harm there at all. Buy some hand sanitizer.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Future trip and overdominate much??? . Relax and enjoy life. If someone has a cold or whatever don't let them hold your baby. They can see it without holding it. You can't shelter your baby from never being sick. So what, you keep it from relatives and the nurse giving it a shot has a bad cold ? We are months away why are you waisting time and drama on this now? I suggest starting to get a grip on yourself and thoughts. It's not just about you anymore. Try using the word we instead of me !!!! My house, my baby, my rules. Time to grow up and have some compassion for someone other than yourself.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• just had 1st grandbaby 3weeks ago,at first my daughter and her husband was real picky but soon realized they will be fine.we all use germ x before we hold him.its exciting when new baby comes be terrible if you didnt get to show baby off,
    kimber571

Answer by kimber571 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not the hospital shot...the first set of shots...my family don't know boundaries and will come over sick and unannounced. And they bring friends whom I don't know or don't care for. I just don't wanna be bothered. They can have pictures.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010