Can anyone help me to get my 3 year old to go potty in the potty everytime???

I REALLY need help, I have working with my daughter to potty train her for months now. She knows what going potty is, she knows when she has to go but I am having trouble getting her to go in the potty everytime. Sometimes when I tell her to go she gets upset and screams. I have done trhe potty chart I have done the candy and toy reward, I have bribed and reasoned with her amd sadly scolded her. But she still won't go on her own. She gets too busy and just goes in her pull up rather then take the time to go to the potty. THis alone is frustrating but I got a phone call today that a spot opened up in the early headstart program and they said Lorelie could come. This would be so GREAT for her she loves to learn and be around other kids. PLEASE HELP me I am desperate at this point.

ErinS08

Asked by ErinS08 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If at all possible try taking her every 15-20 minutes. When she is going while playing it is probably because she is so involved in what she is doing that she forgets all about having to go potty so just let her know that it is time to take a break from playing and go potty. Then once you have done that for a few days stretch it out to maybe 30 mins, 45 mins, 60 mins until she is consistently going. Have you tried having her go with you to pick out big girl underwear? Maybe that would work better instead of the pull ups. I personally used underwear during the day and only pull ups at night and only for a short time. Every child is different though. Good luck to you I hope that you are able to find a method that works for her.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• take away the pull up. I told my son like on a Monday "this sat. there will be no more pull ups" and everyday till sat I would say 2 more days and no more pull up. then when Sat came he wore just underwear, Yes we did go threw a few a day but he didn't like it when he was wet. it took the weekend but within a few days he wasn't having any accidents during the day.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree. I would make a big deal about it. I woudl take her shopping and let her pick out her own underware and talk about how she is getting older and that she needs to wear underwear just like you. I would also try and back off just a little. I would ask her "Do you have to go potty." and if she says no say "okay will try again later." After a little while ask her again.

There are very few things that kids can control at this age and she might be fighting you if you are trying to force her. The last thing I would suggest is a calendar. If you put it in the bathroom with some stickers every time she does she can put a sticker on the calendar. It is a visual tool that will show her how she is going and how good she is doing. It is like a reward, although different in the sense that every time she goes she can see it and see how well she is doing.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I put both of my girls in big girl underware.The pull ups are to much like diaphers. I only used pull ups for bed time and nap time if needed. My youngest is 3 1/2 and is in pull ups at night. we are still not staying dry at night.
    BeckyW101

Answer by BeckyW101 at 2:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My friend has a daughter and they said all they did was put her in big girl undies and she hated the wet feeling so she went to the potty on her own
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:55 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Get rid of the pull ups mom...take her to get big girl panties and stop hovering...let her do this on her own. No one likes to sit around in soiled panties.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree with the others to take away the pull ups. We've been working on potty training our son (he's 3) and he also gets the whole process (he sometimes goes on his own or will go when I take him without pitching a fit) but sometimes just chooses not to go. I tried everything you have and have hit the point that I'm just going to let him pee in his pants until he gets the idea. Unfortunately for me, he totally doesn't care that his pants are wet but he will at least come tell me he's peed (and will helpfully show me where the wet spot is on the carpet... sigh...) If he won't at least try to pee before we leave to go someplace (i.e. the playground) he knows we'll have to come home to change him if he pees in his pants.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Pull-ups are evil. EVIL. That being said, my 3 1/2 year old daughter is still in them. She'll poop on the potty, every time. But she won't pee. I tried taking them away and using the big girl undies, but I was doing a zillion loads of laundry a week. I don't like the laundry mat THAT much (ok, I don't like the laundry mat at all)....but, honestly, even though I haven't done it yet myself, it's coming, fast. I'm TAKING THE PULL-UPS away! (and my son will NEVER wear'em) *nod*
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:52 AM on Sep. 6, 2010