Traveling advice for someone with two kids?

Does anyone have any advice for someone travlingf by car with two small children by themselves?

skies14

Asked by skies14 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they most likely will sleep the whole time. but when you stop for a pee break I wouldn't just pull into a rest stop. when I travel with my son by myself I always stop at a restaurant or BK , McD. more people around the better

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Start out very early in the morning before they are awake. The longer they sleep in the car, the shorter the trip will seem to them. When they wake up then eat breakfast. Allow stops about every hour for running around. little toys that are wrapped so that it takes time to unwrap them. non-messy snacks.

Answer by Bmat at 8:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• drinks that wont stain!!!!! books, pillows, ect ect, just to go along with what the other mothers have said.....
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Drinks, snacks and things they have not seen yet. I loved to spring a new thing on them. Once it was pipe cleaners that went over very well.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Leave one at home? :0) No! BOTH! lol.

Seriously. Pack a lot of toys and switch them out every so often so they don't get bored with what they have. Kids music cd's or radio. crayola color wonders? I think that's what they are called. They are clear markers that only draw on the special coloring books. Those are GREAT!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I always found it useful, when I had to stop to nurse my younger baby, to let my toddler sit in the front passenger seat. That way he could play with radio controls and vents and not be stuck in his seat, and I wouldn't have to worry about him running wild while trying to feed the baby. And I'd stop at a restaurant of some kind (usually Mcdonald's, lol...preferably with a playground ;) ), so when the baby was done, we could go in and my toddler and I could eat, and then he could play on the playground for a few minutes.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I did it with 3 kids. They were 8 months, almost 2 and just turned 3. It was a 350 mile trip and took forever, lol. They slept most of the first 3 hours then the baby got hungry so we had to stop and eat. That was interesting. It was the first time I had ever taken all 3 kids to a restaurant by myself. I put the baby in the stroller so I could keep a better eye on the older two. Then we had to use the restroom, lol. Kept the baby in the stroller but the handicap wasn't big enough so the big kids stood outside the stall and watched the baby (we were like the only people in the place). When we stopped later at a rest stop they all came in the handicap stall with me (baby in the stroller). Then we tried to drive the rest of the 4 hours without stopping. The baby screamed the last 45 minutes but by then we were almost home and it was dark so I didn't want to stop.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I didn't travel by myself.. but we (My parents, myself, and my two kids .. A four month old and a one year old at the time) drove from Michigan to Arizona. Make sure to always start your day early in the morning. (Meaning 5-6 am), so the children go back to sleep in the car. Then get out and let them run around a rest stop for a half hour or so while you guys eat a good lunch. They'll tire themselves out by getting all the restlessness out of them and easily go back to the car. Remember that bedtime for them doesn't mean sleeping in the car, so make sure to end your driving night at a decent time. So you guys can settle into a hotel and they can sleep the night in a bed.

A portable DVD player was magic for me with my older child. It kept them entertained and kept their mind off of being in the car for soo long while they're awake. Carseat trays are great as well. It'll hold snacks, let them color, and play.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• (Contin) Make sure to pack healthy snacks, especially ones full of protien for you. Those will help keep you alert.
    Make sure they have their favorite blanket or stuffed animal close by. Travel pillows in reach, so when they get tired or in need of comfort you don't have to pull over to get it for them. An activity bag in the center seat for easy access for them both is a great idea. then they can get all the toys and what-not themselves, so you're not having to pull over or reach behind you.

For the portable DVD player.. Get the harness that goes on the back of the front seats, so your kids can easily watch without them messing with the buttons. Also, if need be .. Stop at a walmart or similar store to walk the kids around for a while if they get too restless. Getting them excersise will save you LOTS of time listening to them fuss and wine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• PM me if you would like more tips. I don't want to fill up the spaces here.
    JazzlikeMraz