My 4 year old son says his left eye hurts and he can't hold it open, any ideas?

Also his teacher told me he was sneezing alot at school today. She says because this is his 1st year old school, he is expected to pick up things. But what could this be?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• if it's just one eye, i'm not sure it would be allergies. if it's puffy, red, or watery; it could mean he has a small scratch, in which case he should go to the doctor. eye injuries (even minor) are listed on when to seek medical attention.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Maybe he has something in his eye. He could have a cold. He could have pink eye. Take him to the urgent care and see what they say.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• could he have scratched his eye- even the tinist scratch can be pretty painful
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• allergys
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Maybe an eyelash. Mines are always falling off and now it happens to my 2yr old. Evey day I'm searching for one. When its in his eye he says it hurts and won't open it.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• take him to the dr
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'd take him to the Dr. It could be allergies or something. Id do it to be safe.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• That's what happened to my son, then he had the crust....My son got Pink eye : (

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My husband scratched his eye the other day and could not hold it open either. He ended up going in to the dr and they looked at it and got him some antibiotic drops. Eyes are not something to wait and see what happens on... I would get him to dr asap if you think it is possibly something other than allergies.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I'd take him to the Dr just to be safe
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2010