Do I need a special paint to paint a metal storage shed?

I have a metal storage shed that is currently painted a funky off maroon color. It does not match the house in any way. It is made of steel and has a corrugated pattern to it. It is smooth for about 24 inches then there is a bump and then another 24 inches. I would like to paint it white, should I need a layer of Kilz to keep that dark color from bleeding through? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Will I need to wash it down to get rid of tree sap, etc? What should I use for that? TSP, Trisodiumphosphate, which I have used for prepping walls for a new paint job inside the house.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 9:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes, you do need a special paint that will adhear to metal. Talk to your paint guy at your local hardware store.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Sounds like a fun project. :-)..... If it were me. due to the pattern etc. I would use a power sprayer. They have gone down significantly in price. Check Walmart. I don't think you would need kilz for this. A sprayer tends to put paint on thicker than any other method. You can always do a quick sample spot to make sure. Just make sure to use a latex exterior paint. As far as the pine sap, washing won't cut it. The best thing to use is a mixture of regular bathroom alcohol and laquer thinner. (about 75% alcohol to 25% thinner) Make sure to wear gloves and use an old terry cloth rag. - I detailed vehicles for years and did alot of sap removal....after you remove the sap I would use a mixture of soapy water and a small amount of laquer thinner and scrub it down and rinse. ( maybe just a 1/4 cup thinner to bucket of water. ) This will take off impurities and help paint adhere. Have fun !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010