Can't sleep

So for the past few weeks I just can't get to sleep. I thought it was because I was used to working the evening shift until 1 am then not getting to sleep until around 2 but it has been almost 2 months since I quit working to stay home and I still can't get to sleep. I will just lay there for like 2 hours awake. I don't want to take meds because I am scared I won't hear my daughter if she cries. Any advice?

JessicaF1120

Asked by JessicaF1120 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Health

• Get up at 5am everyday for a week. My hubby and I worked weird hours but I got some kittens that had to be fed every 2hrs and I got so I was sleeping alot during the day and up all night til 4am!! I decided to miss a feeding after 3wks and went to bed at midnight but got up at 5am. Drank coffee and cleaned and took a 45min nap at 3pm...went to bed at midnight, got up at 5am worked for me but it's worth a try
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 12:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• After the birth of my first child, I had problems going to sleep, too. You could also try seriously cleaning your house or exercising during the day to wear you out. Perhaps my next suggestion might sound stupid but it works for my family, I shut the t.v. off and put on some classical music. I hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Valerian root tea. You can find some at an herbal store. Just ask. Works everytime makes me sleepy as heck!
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 4:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Avoid caffeine (tea, coffee, soda, chocolate) for a while- a month or more. Practise relaxation exercises- concentrate on relaxing each part of the body. For example: relax the toes, relax the bottom of the foot, relax the top of the foot. Gradually work up the body, stopping from time to time and making sure everything is still relaxed. The focusing that is needed will help calm your mind, and the relaxing, of course, will help your body. I also like the music suggestion.

Answer by Bmat at 11:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2008