Is it wrong to use your neighbors wi-fi if you have their permission?

We had to shut off our internet to save some money and we were talking about it and our neighbors daughter overheard us and said "oh you can use my wi-fi". Now this girl is like 15 so I doubt she pays for it she we politely said no thank you. She kept insisting so we finally told her to ask her Mom and get back to us. We figured we wouldn't hear any more about it. Well, a little while ago they both knocked on our door and the Mom told us it was ok and put the password in our laptop. This is making me a little uncomfortable though. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well having just been hacked at a camp ground wifi....just make sure you don't keep your passwords as default and auto loggin in...make all your passwords different, and close out pages before going forward.

But I have students parking out from out house wifi surfing on my neighbors wifi....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• sounds like you've got some great neighbors!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If you have permission then its fine... your not stealing it then... just becareful about things like Itunes & such......
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• when I have to manually connect all of our neighbors wifi networks pop up... apparently no one realizes that they can "secure" their network connection. lol

No, if they're OK with it you should be too... wifi is everywhere. Unless you're doing massive downloads or streaming that would eat bandwidth, don't worry about it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i use free wi fi. i love it:-) i dont think its wrong,, its not hurting them or taking anything away from them
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 9:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Morally: No its not 100% right. You are stealing from the company.
    But they are giving you the OK.. so i dont think they are going to turn you in..

If I was in a rut & that was my only choice i think id "borrow" some bandwidth when needed.. but there is that small part of me that would know what i was doing is not right.. kinda like stealing cable, every time i watched it i would know it was really mine to watch.. LOL..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You could always take advantage of places that have wi-fi. Where I live, I can take my laptop to the mall, the library, McD's...they all have free wi-fi service. But, if your neighbors are nice enough to allow you to borrow their signal...there would be no need to feel guilty. It's not like they can sign into your laptop and steal your information from their house.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• IF they gave you permission, then it's fine. However, be careful because if you are using their wi-fi, if they know what they are doing, they can see everything that you do, including your passwords and sensitive information.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If you have their permission then you are legally allowed to use their service. If you were doing it without their permission then you would be stealing it and that is illegal. However, you do have their permission, so you are free to use it as you wish.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• loosen up. they gave you permission so just be grateful and realize you have some nice neighbors

3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010