feelin like he is becoming "dependent" on me?

i became friends with this 18 yr kid from school, im 29. we are going into the same program so we have all of our classes together, we hang out b4 class, during breaks, and some times after class. we occasionally talk on FB. i notice lately that he comes to me with his problems, like his parents gettin divorced and peer pressure to party. its like he is seekin approval and advice more than just venting. it just seems like stuff he should be talkin to his parents about, guess i should be glad that he is talkin to someone about stuff, when i was that age i didnt have anyone 2 talk to about stuff and ended on the wrong path for awhile. im just feeling lil weird about him lookin up to me, being i didnt make the right choices when i was that young....he is a great kid, really smart, hard working, just had a sheltered home life.. your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Sweetie, you're his FRIEND. He trusts you. He feels comfortable with you. He feels that he can confide in you and get the best advice for the situation at hand. The choices that you made in the past are a great example of what he shouldn't do, if they were bad choices, and you can help him see it before he makes a bad choice. Now that you're older and making better choices you can use that as well to help guide him to a good path. You're good for him and he seems to see that. I personally think he's just really found that you're a person he can really trust and come to for help. That should be a huge compliment.

And as well, going to your parents isn't easy. I have great parents who truely are there for me whenever I need them and then some. However, with some things I was more willing to go to my older sister then my parents. I felt more comfortable and knew I could trust them to help me out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• at 29 if you are making better choices than you did at 18, than being there for him at this time in his life while his family is going thru changes is a good thing. Keep giving him advice to keep him positive.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• maybe he looks up to like an older sister. he might think he can't go to his parents about his problems. so he comes to you for advice and to vent.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• the past is the past, you are on the right path now, so why not lend the kid an ear? if it makes you that uncomfortable, tell him you need your space

3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Because you didn't make the right choices is why you are the right person to talk to! You can give him advice and know what you're talking about, not speculate! I think it's great you're there to guide him! You are the perfect person to tell him what he needs to do!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• You didn't say if he has any brothers or sisters. There is a possibility that he has trouble talking to his parents, or maybe they don't give him enough attention. I don't see what is wrong with giving him advice to a point. Just be sure that you are a positive role model. have you asked him why he doesn't talk to his parents?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2010