Bachelors degree, no jobs, back to school?

So I have my bachelors degree in psychology, but of course there are no jobs. I was thinking about going back to school, but I don't necessarily want to get my master's degree. Would it be stupid to go to a technical school lol?

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in

• Follow your heart. If you're not committed to a Master's or Doctorate program, then it's not for you. If you want to work in radiography, that's great - do that. It's not stupid at all to do what you want to do.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It wouldn't be stupid if it's something you're interested in doing, if it's what you want. And if it would enable you to care for your family.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 9:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well i dont think so. If you were to go to tech school what would you take?
    Baby_Malik

Answer by Baby_Malik at 9:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Depends on what the tech school was for. What kind of tech school are you thinking about?
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• To work in the field, a Master's or PhD is necessary (Master's allows a limited license in most states, PhD allows for full licensing in a counseling capacity).

lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 9:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• no...I thought a psych degree you had to buddy up with something unless you were going MA or PhD...Even new Grad RN's can't get hired and think of their student loans (by the way I'm looking for an RN and new grad are OK and will support them in their transition when they finally get a hospital hire for their year of acute care).

What about ECE with that degree....the MA in human development is a breeze and that opens all sorts of teaching jobs
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You won't be able to get financial aid. It's very difficult to get into masters programs in counseling psychology. To get into most masters programs in anything you have to have a 3.0 GPA.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• MA's are bought around here....if you have the money...dang they will take you. Limited class schedule, lots of writing, community work..but ya got to have the bucks~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yeah, psychology as a major for your Bachelors is very hard to find a job. I have a Rehabiliation Science degree and so glad I didn't do psych as my major. But even with a psych degree you would be qualified to do what I did, which was therapeutic work with special needs children. But I learned from living in many states that not every state has the same sort of jobs. If I would get my masters I would only make between $5 and $10 (at most!!!) with a masters, that to me is just rediculous!!! I would go to a trade school like you are thinking rather than my masters, unless are going to go further with it. You would also have to study for your GRE and all that jazz too. Good luck in your decision.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Possibly a school of radiography ... not really technical, but you know what I mean
    kaylan010

Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010