Woodworking repair on a dresser. Level of difficulty?

Someone gave me a lingerie chest of drawers but the bottom foot on two sides somehow got wet and I would like to remove that cheap particle board and replace it with the same type of wood that I can match and then repaint the entire chest the same color of my make up table. I will also paint a 'found' nightstand that I will paint the same and then change all the handles the same. How difficult is this project?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 10:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Medium difficulty depending on your available tools and experience. If your replacing the backboard, any good cabinet grade plywood will do. No need to match it wood for wood. Just will need to cut to shape and sand down the edges and prep for painting. For the painting project, depending on the condition of the pieces you may need to strip off the old paint and fill and sand the wood. You will need a palm sander with sandpaper, dust masks, newspaper to protect your floor from paint, chemicalpaint stripper, wood putty to fill in gouges in the wood, a few gallons of paint, paintbrushes, tack free cloth for removing dust before painting, a screwdriver for replacing knobs, a few washers if not included in the knob kit and depending if your cutting the back panel, jig saw or a circular saw and hammer and nails or a furinture grade staple gun with staples to attach the back panel on.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Not that difficult. It will probably require the repairs and a good sanding. Make sure you purchase a good adhesive primer and paint that is for cabinets ~ it is more durable. Good for you! The end result with be very rewarding.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Sounds fun!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I will be taking this dresser to the base hobby shop which has all the tools, wood and someone to help me for a nominal fee. Mr. B teaches the woodworking classes. Most military posts have woodworking, ceramics, framing, dance lessons, etc. It comes under MWR, Morale, Welfare and Recreation.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If its solid real wood it would be able to be done well. Cheap particle board isn't that good I think! My self I couldn't do it,. But DH could. But I lost my strength to Chemo & I can't stand any smells from stains etc.. Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2010