Math help

Teaching my 6 yr old son math- should I have him draw a number line or count little colored bears? I don;t really love the counting by your fingers routine... What do you do with your kids at home?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I say the hands on approach, gives them fun with learning. This is how I would do my sister's HW with her until she figured out a system for herself. Every day she would get out her beans for counting, instead of bears, and did her math homework.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• A number line shouldn't go past 20. There should be two, in fact. One that goes to 9 to show ones and then another that crosses over from ones into tens. My son was taught to count only using the numberline and he couldn't count 1+3 if he didn't have a number line to move his finger across. It should only be used until the child can understand the system of numbers, and then they should be taught to do it in their head.
    If you google "free math worksheets" you can find an amazing number!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 10:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I was getting frustrated with my granddaughter. Then I found an abacus. Now she loves math and whizzes through it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• is there a reason he is not learning it at school?
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son really did well with the number line at that age. It is easier for a lot of kids to SEE it on the paper to help them learn to start picturing it in their head.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I taught my girl with pennies at age 4. For every one she got right without using her fingers, she got to keep the pennies. For example, I'd say "5 + 9" and she'd lay out 5 pennies, 9 pennies, write 5+9 on the paper, her answer, and check it by counting the pennies. Right, she kept all 14, wrong they went back to the pile. I also got math worksheets. Now she's in kindergarten and does early 3rd grade math. Using objects worked best for us, especially something she could enjoy.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No either or, do both! Count everything you can. Fingers are convenient because they're always handy. (ha ha ha, handy) Anyway, we use fingers, legos, food, toy cars, you name it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I like the number line. 

Here is a Number Lines generator to help.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010