Menopause question

I had my last period when I was 42 years old. I had had several years of hit and miss, and heavy periods and then they got further and further apart til they stopped. I am 48 now and feel like I have been cheated out of years of my life. Usually when a woman goes into menopause it is like in their low 50's and then there risk of heart disease goes up. I know it is strange but I feel like that I have the body of a person in their mid 50's and have been cheated out of 10 years. So instead of 48 I have the same risks as a person that is 58. Does anyone know if this is true? They say estrogen helps keep the body healthy and when it quits your body starts to age faster.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Health

• I started peri at 35 (with my life it was self survival)...at 48 it's been a year without a period...I am in meanopause..I joke..I love my bio identical estrogen...it makes me nesty instead of nasty...better for the eyes for sure...lips....hell....I haven't been out of the house since 30...don't tell me this is the end...I am hoping to date at 60~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• TAlk to your Doctor. Personally I was thrilled when I went through menopause. I wouldn't have minded being done with all that at age 42. I am sure there are vitamins, herbs, that can help with your general health. Be sure that you eat healthy food, take Calcium,magnesium and Vit D. for your bones. And Fish Oil capsules -they are good for your heart.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My aunt is i think about 48 and went through menopause, and finally was all over it 2yrs ago. my mom started hers about 2yrs ago, she turned 50 earlier this month and is still going through it...everyone has it at different ages...i wouldn't say you were cheated! you're still living aren't you? just because you don't have your period every month doesn't mean you can't date, or have fun, ect. it just means one less thing you have to worry about. no more spending money on pads/tampons. no more worrying "omg could i be pregnant??" and spending money on pregnancy tests. no more having to worry if you're bleeding through your pants.

sure, you're getting older. but i wouldn't think of it that way. think of it as you're getting WISER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Have you talked with your GYN about this. I went for almost 6 years with no periods and suddenly they were back. According to the blood tests I wasn't through yet. So don't assume. I now take hormones and feel much better. When I finally did go through Menopause I had really weird problems including a psychotic episodes in which I developed fears of being out of our yard, riding in the car, and other things. Go to your doctor and talk with them about this. Only a doctor can tell if you're really in Menopause.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 1:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I just found out 3 months ago that I am in perimenopause - I am going through some emotional roller coasters myself. My sex drive is on neutral (which drives my husband absolutely nuts). I'm feeling pretty down alot, not cheated, but scared. I get tension headaches all the time now. Although I drive my husband nuts with the lack of sexual desire, it really helps that he is TRYING his damnest - and I am blessed that he is sticking around. I know we will get through this, lots of women before us have done it and still doing it...
    ladycertz

Answer by ladycertz at 8:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2010