How can I get my 1yo to care about school? He's gonna fail!3

My son refuses to do his homework. Delibaratly. He doesn;t care about incentives, punishments, he is rude to me. If I say anything about homework he gets really angry. He is being abusive,short with me, mocks me, and rude to me. He is usually kind, sweet and caring child. This is really strange. I'm at a loss I've tried everything! He's going to fail! What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Let him fail. He will learn. I didn't do my homework either. I had to go to summer school. I spent many years getting punished for not doing it. I finally decided to in 11th grade.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'd send his butt to a military school =).
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 10:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Your 1 year old????I hope that is a typo.
    How old is he?
    Better talk with his teacher/teachers. It sounds like there are problems at school.
    But....I don't know why he is being abusive at home?
    There must be more to this story.
    Good luck.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would say let him fail... When he has to spend his summer in summer school and still can't get caught up with his friends, he's gonna learn to care. But speaking from personal experience, there really isn't anything you can do to MAKE him care! My mom tried it all, I never saw a point to HS so I didn't work for anything... Frankly, for me, it didn't matter, but not everyone is like me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• do you mean your 10+ year old? Have you had him evaluated for a learning disability? He may be having a hard time with homework and doesn't know how to express it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son acted out like that in Middle School. After two summers of summer school so that he could move on, he got his head out of his ass. My aggravation stemmed from the fact that he is gifted. He just did care and is lazy. I still have to ride him to get his stuff done and he is a Junior now.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• "didn't care" sorry... fingers faster than the mind...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• by the looks of the 1 and the 3 in the wrong place I'm guessing 13! I was thinking let him fail too! It's gonna suck when he can't be with his friends!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If this is sudden new behavior, then there may be a problem at school with either staff or students, or he may have an as of yet undiagnosed learning disability and having an evaluation may help to get to the bottom of the problem. Many kids his age who have managed to coast on by & hide/compensate for their learning disability because they're very bright, suddenly find themselves overwhelmed by the time 4th grade rolls around because the expectations are so different.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would be trying to figure out what caused the sudden change in him, & until you can figure it out let him fail, he wont like it. BUt honestly there has to be a reason for the sudden change, ride his butt until he tells you whats going on. If he wont talk to you, get him someone else to talk too.

I hope things get better.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010