My 5 year old is constantly lying to me lately!

mystikal91877

Asked by mystikal91877 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How so?
    Keep in mind that kids don't fully learn to tell the differences between truth and fiction until age 7 or even 8. Until then, they frequently exaggerate to make things more interesting or they say what they wish was true.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Or they say what they think they heard. You can tell a 5 year old this and this and it will not even be the same if you ask them to repeat it. Maybe he/she isn't lying, maybe they are just saying what they thought they heard. Ask point blank questions about something and even in different ways and see what you come up with.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Its hard with a 5 yr old to truly know when they are lying and when they are telling the truth as they see it. Their concept of time and events are skewed. They are 5. Pick you battles. WHen they say something happened, help them clarify the situation. "Did so-and-so really mean to hit you or was it an accident?" Etc... But in a nice way. This is teaching them how to tell the truth. But when they are caught in a bold-faced lie, call them on it. " You did take the cookie and you told me you did not. That is a lie." Recognize them for telling the truth and owning up to things they did. Make the punishment lighter for the bad behavior when they tell the truth.
    Traleelai

Answer by Traleelai at 10:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• William still does it. He doesn't want to get in trouble so he won't tell us something he thinks it will keep him out of trouble. We have explained to him that it is always better to tell the truth then to lie. He learned that lesson again a week ago.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My son still does it a bit, but I offer him to types of punishments. i.e. If you tell the truth you will do a time out for doing _________(whatever he did). If you dont tell the truth, you will get a time out AND I will take your favorite toy away for the rest of the day.
    Its worked well for me. They still need to be punished for what they initially did, but rewarded for telling the truth. Very fine line there. Also, have you read a version of the "Boy that cried wolf" story? That is a good story with a good message about integrity!
    Momof3many

Answer by Momof3many at 3:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2008