How does my son have a calcium mark on his nail?

He has 12-16oz of of milk every day, yogurt or cheese every day, eggs a few times a week, cereal, a gummy bear vitamin a day...basically we make sure he gets his dairy/calcium in. Is there another reason why he has this white mark on his nail? It makes me feel like we're doing something wrong. We were thinking of switching him over to 1% or fat free milk for his 2nd birthday since we drink it and the pediatrician said it was okay, but would that make the calcium thing worse?

ours

Asked by ours at 10:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i've heard 2 different things, A) it's not calcium, it's just a "nail bruise". B) it's extra calcium stored in there. not that he's not getting enough.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• White spots on the nails are pure and simply old nail bed injuries. It is a MYTH that they are caused by calcium deficiency.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• White spots on the nail are normal and very common. I am curious if they are more common in fair-skinned people. Anyone?
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 11:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Anyone can get white spots on their nails, as they are a sign of a an old injury. As the injured part of the nail grows out, the white spot will move up the nail until eventually you clip it off or it breaks off.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't think all white spots on the nails are related to calcium deficiencies. For toddlers and babies they are crawling around, playing and using their fingers for lots of things. Could just be from being used or hit by a toy. Nails do not always bruise but it is like when you accidentally fold the tip of your nail, you wind up with a white line or area from the fold.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Ok, *phew*. I was so confused, thanks guys!
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010