How early in a babies life can you do a DNA test?

How early at a baby has been born can you do a DNA test to see who is or isn't the father and how much does something like that cost?

Grandma2girls

Asked by Grandma2girls at 10:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• as soon as its born & I don't know. I never had the need. they now offer an at home/send off one, but i think its somewhere between 150-300...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Don't know the cost, but, the second they pop out of the womb. All you need is a cheek swab.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• right away -- they just do a cheek swab. Your local child support agency through county court can handle that for you.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, technically you can do it even before the baby is born, but at that point it's a risky procedure. The moment a baby is born you can do the DNA test. If you go through the court system around here to prove paternity if he is the father, it's $75 for him, if he isn't it's $75 for you.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• at birth..they swab the inside of the cheek and send it off. I did 23 and me for my adopted DD and she needed to be able to spit about 1oz...that is a lot of spit....took about 5 mins~but I know her Haplogroup~but that was at 12..and people with similar DNA are email us as 3rd cousins with full family trees already made....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• asap, if not before they are born
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• as for the cost, it depends on the situation, you may not have to pay
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• it CAN be done while they are still in utero, but I doubt they do it as a service at that stage......
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• at birth.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 11:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• DNA can be tested at basically any time. DNA tests can be done via amnio or CVS if you need those procedures (amnio is sampling the amniotic fluid and CVS is sampling the placenta), but they usually only do those tests if there is a medical need. Otherwise, it can be done as soon as the baby is born.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about the cost since I've never needed a DNA test for non-medical reasons.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010