Dr.'s are to "do no harm".... then why?...

If doctors are to "do no harm" then why do all medicines come with warnings?
How come most of the warnings are as bad or worse than the condition it should be curing?

If it has a warning, obviously a dr. knows this is not a safe drug... thus giving it out, isnt he/she doing possible harm to their patient?
Also if anyone had to deal with meds- most will probably agree that using 1 medicine, leads to needing another medicine...

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Medical care in the US doesn't have anything to do with making people healthy ~ and it certainly doesn't have the best interests of the patients driving it. It's about profit, nothing else.

Healthy people would NOT generate income for either the medical business or the drug companies. The FDA is possibly the worst of it. It allows meds that cause harm (but generate big bucks) and won't even bother with other treatments that are either natural or cost pennies. The drug companies only stay in business and make a profit (and they make an obscene profit) if there are sick people buying their product. If the majority of the population actually became healthy most would barely stay afloat.

I'm all for capitalism, but it has no place in medicine. I'd have supported any HC plan that lessened the profit, but I also knew that wasn't going to happen. I've lost all respect for most medical personnel at this point.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Because different medications interact differently with each and every person.

As for medications leading to medications... all I can say is that if my daughter didn't have some of the medications she's had, she wouldn't have survived to the ripe old age of three months. Sometimes it's worth what medications can and will do.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Doctors weigh the risks versus benefits for the patient. Meaning, if the doc is prescribing the medicine, the potential risks are less than the benefit.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son is on many meds and he has yet to experience any side effects from any of them. Not all meds will work for all people equally, therefore there must be warnings. Using meds is a choice of the "lesser of two evils", which is harming the patient more, the med or the disease?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Because they feel that the benefits outweigh the risks. For example my hubby has high blood pressure and is on meds for it. Sure there are potential side effects, but they are certainly better than the stroke he would have without the treatment. Even natural things like herbs have side effects, it's all about risk vs reward.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yep in my son's case it did. The doctor prescribed an entirely too high dose of antibiotics for him and it led to him needing powdered enzymes to take and now he has IBS problems from it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My daughter was on heart meds, Atenolol. Something usually used for adults but hers was a bad case and needed a stronger med. One of the side effects were more sensative allergies. So she also had to take Benadryl and Clatiron. But it was worth it in her case. Worse allergies, lack of appetite, tiredness, and dizziness were much better than her keeling over with a heart attack at age 5. I see what you're saying though. We got off lucky.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• just in cases of medicines - minus the inclination to use drugs sponsoring an office... or however that works sorry i am tired.

medicine is prescribed to prevent cure etc diseases or afflictions. it is is most cases given out and taken in in good faith. side affects come with anything in life. - think allergies.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• when they do studys on medicines, if one person has a symptom, wether they know its from the medicine or not, they have to put it down. so those arent all REALLY side effects.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Im on Antenolol 50 mg but only take 25 mg I have to cut them in half . It was because it was causing my bp to drop too low. Anyway I havent had any side effects but they do have to weigh it and be sure they give you right stuff. They are practictioners you know.. practice medicine. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010