what is a birthing plan exactly?

I have an idea and I had tried to make one before but things didnt go as planned at all -_- things were changed for me and I didnt even know the doc who delivered my babies! yeah it was soo confusing.

ShadowXX

Asked by ShadowXX at 11:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• what is a birth plan?
    A birth plan is a communication tool that may include the following items so everyone understands your preferences for labor and delivery.

How would you like to manage your labor?
    How do you feel about monitoring devices?
    Will you need to be induced?
    How do you feel about pain medication?
    What if a Cesarean becomes necessary?
    Would you like to avoid an episiotomy?
    Do you want cameras/video cameras? Music?
    How should Baby be handled immediately after birth?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Basically a "Wish List" for your Labor and Delivery.

Like, YES, I want drugs.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• the birth plan is what every first time mom makes thinking it will go exactly as they plan it to be. boy are they in for a big surprise! LOL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• LOL! I never made a birth plan, just figured what happens happens. but there was one thing i was sure about; drugs. the doctor didn't even have to ask me lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• A birth plan is something that tells the medical staff your wishes like who can be in the room, the care of the baby, if you want meds.

The idea is to keep you from having to make decisions when things are going fast. You have to keep in mind though, that sometimes things don't go as planned and you have to alter from the original plan. This is where you need to have back up info put in there just in case.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Actually...if you are informed and have researched and decided what you want. 9 times out of 10, it WILL go how you want it to. You can ask for or refuse anything you want. The doctors aren't Gods and if you know your body and are well informed enough. You can plan a lot. While things CAN happen, knowing and researching and planning can make you confident enough to work through and find better choices as opposed to following your doctor blindly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• A birth plan is a way to express your preferences.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• A birth plan is how you want your birth to go. Whether it's actually followed depends on circumstances, like how willing you and your support are to stand up for what you want, how many interventions you allow, whether there's medical need for interventions... A birth plan is a starting point, and it gives you something in writing to which to refer, but remember that it's not set in stone. You can change your mind, and there will probably be other people trying to change your mind for you. But it's definitely worth making one, if for no other reason than to force you to think about potential decisions before the heat of the moment, and let others know what you would like done in those situations. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010