School help!!

my daughter is in the first grade and is NOT wanting to do her schoolwork at school, likewise she will do it for us here, just not a school! last year she had to repeat kindergarden twice and we are hoping that she will not have to do the same again, because if so we have a strong felling that she will have it hard in school from there on, and it doesn't count if she doesnt count if she doesnt do it at school, what can i do to help her or to get her to do her work at school?

ncollins885

Asked by ncollins885 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is in first grade and she started out not being interested in doing her work at school and also at home. The first thing that the doctor and teacher recommended was she get tested for ADD. I admit that my daughter has a hard time paying attention but I had to have her moved to a desk next to the quiet people so she would not have anyone to distract her. Also, we motivated her to want to do her home/school work but having her watch kids maybe a year older than her read and other assignments similar to her. This made her more eager to want to learn and be like the other older kids. Hope this helps.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Take her to the doctor, have them test for ADD and then once the medical reasons are ruled out, its time to put her on a behavior contract. Ask the teacher if she has one available. If not make one up. Use a regular calendar and every day ask the teacher to stamp it when your daughter does her work. At the end of the week if she has 5 stamps, then take her out to her favoite spot, ( the park, the zoo, ect..) Once thefirst week is up, now have her work on 2 weeks, then a treat. This will train your daughter that if she works hard she will be rewarded.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 11:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, my first thought isn't ADD or ADHD, but there must be some reason she doesn't want to do the work at school. I'd set up a meeting with the teacher to see why she thinks your daughter doesn't want to do the work at school. Ask your daughter why she doesn't want to do it at school. Maybe see if someone can observe the class one day to see what's going on. It is something that has to be addressed and the sooner the better because it will continue to affect her more and more negatively over the years.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Has the teacher put an incentive program in place for her yet? The teacher really should do that.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Im not sure about incentive programs, and We totally have ruled out ADD and ADHD because there is nothing wrong with my child, she is smart it's just her inmputting the work that she needs to do and wanting to do it, and thanks girls
    ncollins885

Comment by ncollins885 (original poster) at 6:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Ask your family doctor for a referral to a behavioral therapist. Something is very wrong, if your daughter spent three years in kindergarten.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Having ADD doesnt mean that your child is not smart. It means that its difficult for your child to focus at times. There is no harm in getting your child tested. It could be that she is having a hard time focusing.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 7:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My thought was why some one in the school system hasn't suggested getting her ckd by her Dr. and I'm saying for what I really don't know much abt ADD or ADHD, bur obviously something is not working for her. I don't think letting the poor child repeat classes every yr is the appropiate way to help her. I'd ask your Dr and go from there. Sorry your having such a difficult time, it's heart breaking for a Mother to go thru this.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• thanks, Myangel003 , Im glad soeone is looking at it on my level, and it really is heartbreaking to see her go through this! im gonna ask her MD about it, thanks guys!
    ncollins885

Comment by ncollins885 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would talk with the school counselor and pediatrician to try to figure out ways to help her focus and get things done. THat has to be hard for all of you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2010