What are the best tools to teach a 3yr old her abcs?

She knows her colors/shapes/numbers very well but her ABCs are taking a little longer. Any tips?

ShadowXX

Asked by ShadowXX at 11:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• One of the best things I use with my Children and my Foster Children are the Leap Frog Fridge Magnets. There are three different sets and they are great. They sing the ABC song. They also sing the sound that the letter makes. Do not push it on her but get the fridge magnets and do it with her several times a day. Eventually she will go to the fridge and play them on her own. I truly think they help a lot.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Have a chart with the "ABC's" on it...and sing the song as you point your finger on the letters. This is what's worked for us.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• See if you can find one of those big foam letter mats. They are large (about 1ft x 1ft) interlocking squares with a different letter in each one (the letters come out too) My oldest got one a few months before he turned 2 and he knew all his letters by sight before he was 3. We had so much fun with that thing. We would make different shapes out of the squares and take all the letters out. Then I'd ask to find the "A" or he would pick up a letter and I'd say "that's the letter T, do you know where it goes?" and he would put it in the right spot. Worked like a charm and it was fun.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Give her time she is only 3. Sing the ABC a lot. Read and ABC book at bed time.
    xpandyourmind

Answer by xpandyourmind at 11:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I heard Leap Frog Fridge Phonics Alphabet Magnets work really well, and they tell which letter makes which sound. I havent gotten them YET, I plan to once I get some extra money, but I have a few mom friends who have said they were amazed at how well they worked. Aside from that, I would suggest maybe posting the alphabet on her wall, sing it often to her, and maybe get some ABC books and read them along with her? GL! My son is 2 & 4 months and knows most of the alphabet, but still mixes up some letters.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• hhmm...get flashcards and play games with them. do a letter a week, and do crafts starting with that letter. either buy a poster, or make your own with the alphabet on there. whatever you do, take time to sit with her and teach her the letters. I always thought by 3 they should know them and be writing them...at least all my 3yr olds did in preschool. my son is 3 and writing his own name...oh! i think there's a dvd called " Letters" you should be able to find it in a teacher store, or even Sam's club if you're lucky. and "Letter Factory" by leap frog, my son loves that show....it shows the letters and tells you the sounds with a cool song. you can get it on amazon.com...GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When mine were 3, we had huge pieces of paper hanging on the walls, kind of like they do at elementary schools. They were constantly surrounded by it, so they learned a lot faster.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Puzzles...... My stepmother bought john when he was two this really great puzzle, it was a puzzle with the ABC's on it... But it also was a tool to teach them to write it too.... I think she got them at Toys R Us. (I said them because they had a number one.) they came with the puzzle board, pieces & a wipe off crayon. & John & I would do the puzzles at least once a day. As we figured out the :shapes" We'd say them by name...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• sesame st. its three disk... its great i let my one yr. old watch it all day and he loves it..
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 1:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sesame Street, going thru magazines and finding things that start with whatever letter. Its a fun game. I liked HW at that age.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010