Is she over reacting over anti bullying poster that resembles her son?

So my friend called me really upset. Her son has red hair and freckles and has some behavioral problems that require meds and special classes. He has issues getting along with others too. The principal has not been very kind to her or him and is always complaining about him but never offering to help. My mom is a teacher at this school and told me the principal has been fired from two schools and that this was her last chance to make it. Well back to the point!
An anti bully poster was made and posted all over the school. In the picture the bully is dressed like he dresses and has red hair and freckles beating on a smaller child!!!! All the kids made fun of him.He went home crying. She tried to talk to the principal about it, asking why they couldn't have use a bulldog or some sort of cartoon instead, and why couldn't the poster be pos not neg! She told her it was fine and to calm down and lighten up. Thoughts?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can't help but wonder, what if that were my child? Calm down and lighten up? She struggles with his issues daily, now he is getty picked on and called bully boy at school because of the posters.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Wow. I would definitely be upset too. Esp if the principal told her to "lighten up". Can she bring a copy of the poster and her son before the school board? Most of those meetings are public, aren't they?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If it is something that sends your kid home in tears than no it is not over reacting to get up set and vent to a friend.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Who made the poster? that is so sad!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would be upset too. She's not overreacting and she should speak to the school board about it. I wouldn't tolerate that.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• That's what we are trying to find out! The other schools don't have them up and they were professional posters. It have to have been someone from the school!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well it would bother me too and obviously the principal needs to do something about the entire situation. But as an elem. school teacher and having been in the setting, most of those things come down from the school board. It is probably a district wide anti-bullying policy of some sort that they are adopting. Just like those citizenship and good manners programs the start up. Its district wide and the district is probably getting money for using the program and thus have to use the posters.

Though the poster creators should have thought more about it first, I suppose you could argue that there really aren't all that many red haired and freckled kids around.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• sorry keyboard is screwy had to have
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I asked my mom she said the school down the road doesn't have them up. It just seems weird. Maybe it wasn't directed towards him, but that is pretty unique. They should generalize by using animal cartoon charactars and make the message about making friends and doing the right thing instead of don't be a bully! We don't tolerate it!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i would have asked her to calm down and lighten up after my hand left her face...in my op shes being a bigger bully than your friends son by calling him out in front of the whole school! Where is the schools guidence counsler? Did a counsler approve of this poster what about the school board, where are the teacher during this too? I mean really..i believe i would of gotten my hands on one of those so called posters and takein it directly to the school board or someone that could handle this better than her as a parent...also if she has papers from a dr proving her son has issues she can get that principle in serious trouble..i would def be one to push the issue of her losing her job..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010