my 4 and half months old sleeps all day and is awake all night:(( i can't adjust it and I fear he;s not benefiting the growth hormone spurts:!!!

nance209

Asked by nance209 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't do this suddenly but slowly start reducing his day time sleeping. Wake him up and give him stimulation to keep him up. Shoot for an extra half an hour of awake time every time he's awake. So if he's awake for 2 hours during the day, make it 2.5 hours for a couple of days, then increase to 3 hours for a few days, and then 3.5, and so on. As he gradually has more and more awake time during the day, he will start to sleep more at night. It will take a a while but you will eventually get his days and nights flipped back around. :) Good luck
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I agree, work your way to the schedule you want hour-by-hour instead of trying to do it all at once. Hang in there!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Some people are night owls and it sounds like your son is one of them. Can you adjust your schedule to his? If not I'd talk with his pediatrician about it.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 12:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• hhmmm you have to adjust it bit by bit , wake him with a cool cloth , play with him, play music do what ya gotta do, you cant leave it like this. do it hour by hour day by day
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 12:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• aww hang in there mama. i agree with the other mommies: just keep him awake a little longer during the day, half an hour at a time, until he gradually learns to sleep at night. and don't give him any stimulation when it's supposed to be time for sleep. and don't worry, as long as your baby is eating & sleeping, he's going to grow. good luck mama!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• thx all for ur valuable feedbacks:) but I really don't know if he;s a night owl or what..he sleeps within my hands or during nursing and just wakes up the minute I put him to bed:(( I want to get back to work but fear his habits will hinder me! but ill try to do the schedule..i am really totally worn out
    nance209

Comment by nance209 (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010