WHY THE COMPETETION

i have a sister who competes with me on everything..
i didnt even realize it a close friend of ours pointed it out to me..i dont know if she does it on purpose or not..but it erkks me..
ex. 1. i decided to get my GED instead of finishing school..she went to night school instead
ex. 2. i went an got my license..she had to go get hers an then get a car same week
ex. 3. i decided to college..she decided that she had to go also
ex. 4. i get a 3 bedroom house..now she got to go try for a 4 bedroom..
she is my older sister..but it kills me that she always has to try an out shine me no matter what i do..
Does anyone else have a sibiling or family member who does this?
How did or do you handle this w/o losing them?
*btw she is my only sibiling...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Sibling rivalry?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Some people are like that. It's usually because they are insecure. What was she like growing up? And why is anything losing to her. Life is not a competition Live your life to make you happy. Let her compete all by herself. Eventually if she see's it's not upsetting you maybe she'll stop the silliness.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 12:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My little sister used to be like that and it drove me crazy! Thankfully she grew up and now we are great friends and our children are always together. If you would have asked me if I thought that it would be like this a few years ago I would have said H*ll No! It's amazing what a few years and four kids will do.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:39 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• it sounds like the things you named are completely normal things for a person to do, regardless if a sibling is doing it at the same time or not. relax. maybe it would be more fun if you decided to look at it through a different perspective. why don't you do some of these things together instead of considering it a competition. you'll probably get closer in the process.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well it could be that you are both at those similar stages in life, and going for the same sort of things. Or it could be that she envies what you do and wants to be able to do it to. Or it could be that she respects you and sees that you are doing something with your life and wants to too.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Take it as a complement and love your sis.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Swap cleaning each ones' homes and start to offer little breaks for each other, or go to breakfasts, and brunches with your kids. Take time to let her see you are just as bendable as her in being kind to one another, you do have children, heck this could turn out to be great, I never had thought only one sister is a good reason to compete, but it seems really nice. If you are careful planners together you could both have some cool, interesting and memorable vacations !! "together", kids and all.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I HAVE A BROTHER.AND KNOW PROBLEMS.IF SHE IS OLDER THE YOU,SOUNDS TO ME THAT SHE HAS A BIG HANG UP ON EVERY LITTLE THING THAT YOU DO OR DONT DO.I WOULD JUST TRY TO TALK WITH HER TO SEE WHY SHE IS DOING ALL OF THIS.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 2:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i have a older sister and she dont like me.i found that out when i got hear to town and stay with her,she said that she love me but she show me the other side for her when we are together we have fun but when we get around other peo it like she better then me and she know it all.i hate when we are around family she get the big head.i just dont go around her or the family as much we steal talk on the phone and i will go get her and take her to the place she need to go,and i have told her how i feel everthing was ok for a min and then she what right back like she was.so i just feed her out of a long handle spoon but we do talk.
    ladydi121

Answer by ladydi121 at 3:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My sister went through it most of our lives. First it was because she loved me so much, she wanted to be like me. She couldn't see how special she was. Then in our Twentys to Forties she felt she had to prove herself. I had gone to college, she didn't pass the 10th grade. Making friends came easy for me, while she had to jump hoops to get anyone to like with her. I know a lot of it was because she got herself in a bad marriage. He was horrible to her. While my husband spoiled me rotten. It wasn't until we gave our lives to the Lord that our relationship changed. God filled us up with His love to love each other &let us see each other through His eyes. Now we talk for hours. Of course, I always pray before I talk with her because I know she is sensitive & insecure in the knowledge that she's a beautiful woman after being told she was nothing most of her life. I just keep encourageing her. Find something she like & copy her.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2010