What are your best potty training tips?

Ok my daughter is 18months and is all of the sudden very interested in her potty that we have had for a while. she is always taking off her diaper and saying potty potty potty. so i am putting her on the potty every time i go but other than that, i dont know what else to do. any suggestions are great!!

vannahsmom07

Asked by vannahsmom07 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well girls r alot easier than boys.:) my son got very interested around that time too, we hardcore potty trained, and put him in underpants. then a month later he went back to doing it in his pants. he's now 2 1/2 and we've never stopped potty training, but he's just now getting interested again. suckers work well. everytime he goes he gets a sucker.... i think we have progress. & as for pooping... it sounds funny but i can get him to poop on the potty if i or my hubby sit on the potty, tell him to poop, and make grunting sounds. he grunts and poops too. lol.
    mommydieshadawn

Answer by mommydieshadawn at 12:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Everyone is different at potty training. My boys where both potty trainied around 1 1/2. And my girls where a little harder to potty train. They both where 2 1/2. So not only are boys easier, but each are different.
    My_4_cuties_08

Answer by My_4_cuties_08 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My daughter is 3 years old and I have not had any luck with potty training yet. She has peed on her potty chair three times in three months....when I put her on it as soon as she woke up in the morning. I bought her the big girl panties, I have offered cotton cnady (she'll do anything for cotton candy). So far, she is just not interested.
    Wonderwoman73

Answer by Wonderwoman73 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I waited until my sons were dry at night, then I picked a weekend (they were both about 3 when this happened) and spent the weekend potty training. I took them every half hour. By the end of the weekend they were trained. Another suggestion for boys, not sure how this would work with girls, is if you have privacy in your yard, let the boy go without pants when you are thinking of training. They find out what if feels like when they need to urinate and what the muscles feel like when they do.

Answer by Bmat at 10:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i know this sounds funny, but try "magic water" use blue food coloring added to the water or those toilet bowl cleaners that turn the water blue and tell them it is magic water and will change colors when they go potty (turns green). it worked for me. for boys that you are trying to get to stand and pee in the potty put some cherioos in the toilet and have them aim at them. best of luck
    momofjsms

Answer by momofjsms at 10:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I'm beginning the potty training and we're still working hard. My daughters 17 months and what i've found that has worked so far is telling her that she will get to wear "big girl" panties if she goes pp in the potty. When she goes in the potty she gets to put them on. When she goes in her diaper i take them off and that kills her. I make it like a game. When she gets done she likes to flush and watch it go down. Then we clap and say yea! We've even done the potty dance. lol. I started with her favorite stuffed animal and showed her that it can potty too! Just be careful because i caught my daughter in the bathroom trying to lift the lid so the puppy could go potty. I got her an elmo potty book that has sounds. I also ask her every 30 minutes if she has to go. GOOD LUCK!!!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 11:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Just keep doing what you're doing. She will get it. I did the exact same with my now 5-yr old. and she was completely trained by age 2.
    BREN_da

Answer by BREN_da at 11:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• What worked for us was having a girls use big girls underwear. No pull-up. Since they are able to actually feel what its like to be yucky.. Pull ups only made them feel like they were in diapers. Good luck..
    Ms.Tamara

Answer by Ms.Tamara at 12:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I really like the book Potty Wise by Gary Ezzo. We did the three day method on my son who had just turned 2 1/2 and he was completely potty trained in 3 days. However, I've been trying to potty train my 20 month old daughter using the same method and she has not been as successful. Not sure if she is too young yet or just needs a different method. Good Luck!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008