How do your kids balance schoolwork and extracurricular activities?

My daughter just started 3rd grade and she also takes ballet lessons 3 days a week and kung fu lessons 2 days a week. She only started school a week ago but she has already had trouble finishing her homework on time to go to a lesson. Today she took so much time doing homework that she couldn't go to kung fu. I know that the older she gets, the more homework she will have and I'm wondering how other parents get their kids to finish their homework in time to do other activities. My daughter is very smart and has always excelled at academics but it seems that this year has so far been pretty challenging with the schoolwork.

myrrha68

Asked by myrrha68 at 1:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• good girl she is, i think its a little too much for kids to handle at such young ages... maybe cutt out some things at school, tv, or friends over..
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• first off 3rd grade is a turning point year for kids, they are expected to do more and handle more schoolwork. With my 3 kids I have a rule that homework comes first, my oldest tends to finish his homework at school he always has its just how he does it, it is rare he comes home with work to do. My other two get it done as soon as they get home and I make sure I schedule anything else after 5pm with the exception of ballet which starts at 4 one day a week.

Try to look at the time each activity willt ake up, My kids are not in something every night. I may be driving someone somewhere every night but the kids each have an average of 3 nights per week they are out of the house. You may have to drop one activity so she has more time for school work. I try to find the balance that works best for each of my children.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I have 3 children and they are all in activities as well. The rule in our house is you get 20 to 30 minutes of down time when you get home from school. This allows the kids to have a snack and tell me about their day, I'm a SAHM. After that they sit at the table and do their homework while I am making dinner. Usually my oldest does his in school, he has study hall. My middle one and youngest can usually get all their homework done while I am making supper. If their home work is not done and we have to leave I see what they have left. If it is not to much, they go to practice and finish when they get home.

It is never easy balancing everything and you might want to talk to you daughter. She may be feeling overwhelmed with everything and she might want to drop something. I would sit and talk with her about what you expect from her and see what she has to say.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:04 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• by a wing and a prayer
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 4:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We always had the kids do their homework after supper. We ate at the same time everyday and then they stayed at the table for homework. We supervised homework in case they needed help and because we loved to see what they were doing in school. Just one idea......... When they got older they could do it in their rooms if they wanted.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• having Sp Needs kids, I don't push the HW issue. They do what they can and thats it. We will not have drama at home over HW. We're not fans of HW here. Kids need downtime too. School is over, let them be kids now.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My kids are allowed to have one extracurricular activity at a time. If an activity isn't too time consuming (My DD is in dram twice a month for example), I'll let them do two. Homework and schooling comes first.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• This is the first year my son doesn't have anything going on right now. He decided to quit scouts, so it is just school. When he was in scouts though, he didn't have any issues keeping up with school work. I see so many parents who have their kids in 3-5 different activities and wonder how in the world the kids can keep up with school work, much less find time to eat!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son knows school comes before karate, swim class and guitar lessons. He will do his homework right after school so he has time to do his activities.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 1:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Homework comes first, that's the priority.
    My girls learned that if they do their homework without wasting time, they have plenty of time for their dance lessons and for fun playing in the yard or with their toys.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2010