My newborn baby has bad diaper rash, what should I use? The extra strength destin doesn't seem to be working.

PrincessSmasher

Asked by PrincessSmasher at 2:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be a yeast infection and then only prescribed meds will stop it....Joette
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 2:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• you have to wash her with water after every dirty diaper
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 2:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Vaseline. Or A&D Ointment.

The desitin (typically the creamy stuff) just gets absorbed. The vaseline leaves a thin layer that acts as a protective barrier.

Slather it on at EVERY diaper change. If it doesn't clear up (or at least show good improvement) in a day or two, go see the doc.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Air drying after a change and even going diaper-free is very helpful.
    Breast milk is a wonderful remedy, too!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• A & D ointment and vaseline seemed to work best for me. I also used baby powder after it got a little better just to try and keep it dry in there. Just make sure your wiping her bottom after every time she goes to the bathroom, and then applying the A & D or Vaseline after every diaper change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Boudreauxs butt paste :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:19 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Instead of using wipes use a warm wash cloth for a while until the redness disappears. The chemicals and what not in the wipes are what's causing the rash, plus wiping her so many times can cause her skin to be raw.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I think that it could be a yeast infection. I know that when my girls had them the doctor had to write a script.
    BeckyW101

Answer by BeckyW101 at 2:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• When my son was born he had a horrid rash, and nothing worked! I took him to the doctor a few times before she prescribed him something called nystatin, it took two days and the rash was gone after two weeks of a horrid bleeding bottom. That stuff was amazing!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• When my 4yo had a yeast infection as a baby the doctor just told us to get Lotramin over the counter. We put it on her then coated it with vaseline otherwise it just wiped off. It cleared it up in a few days. Her rash had gotten really bad, broken open and was bleeding. We felt so bad. We kept using the diaper rash cream we had not realizing how bad it was getting.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010