How early can I use a HPT?

1st day of my cycle was 9/19, was normal & lasted 3 days. We had sex on 9/27, my ovary felt like I was ovulating on 9/30. Now my breasts have been sore everyday since 10/1. My breasts are never sore this early after my period or for this long before I start my next period. However, my sore breasts were what prompted me to take a preg test with my last 2 failed pregnancies. So I took one last night & it was neg. Does anyone think there could be a chance I may be preg but the test won't pick up the hcg yet?

mimi_june1971

Asked by mimi_june1971 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• You can buy a test and it can test 5 days before your period starts.
    rachl79

Answer by rachl79 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Well i did it a week or so before my period,

but it just depends on how much pregnancy hormone is within your body,

some do like to wait,

i had to retest, a day before my period,just to double check,
    and it was just as right as the first,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• 10-12 days after the sex.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 1:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It's very possible. Even the sensitive tests that say they have accurate results up to 5 days before your missed period say that they're only 99% accurate, so you could be in that 1% that doesn't produce enough hCG that early. And if it's not one of those sensitive tests, then it's not likely many people at all would get a positive that early. Try to wait another 2 or 3 days and try again.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2008