Are you a mother with one child?

Just wondering what your reason is for having one child? Do you find you get picked on alot? Does your family put there nose in your business?

I have one child, I don't get stuff from my family but I have gotten it from friends and people I just met.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• We have an only by choice. IMO those who feel it is any of their business to suggest or judge people with only one child have some major insecurity problems and cannot validate their existence without their children. I'm more than happy to point that out to them in graphic detail if they ever suggest that it's somehow "wrong" we've chosen to stop at one. Aside from turning bright red and shutting up, I don't know if they really understand my point or not, but the shutting up suffices.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• We have a singleton. For us, one is a good, round number.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yes. I was 35 when I had my son. He was diagnosed with autism at three, and my husband and I both figured that bringing another child into the mix would add more stress and be unfair to the second child. By necessity, we have to put a lot of attention into our son and it's possible a second child would be neglected.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No I have 4 kids and they stick their noses where they do not belong more now than ever before! I hate it.... I just want to move somewhere where its just me, my husband and our kids!!!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:29 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• well I only have one child for now, but we plan on having more. The only crap I get from my family is that my son is almost 4 and we havent tried for a second yet and dont plan on trying for another year, so we're getting crap because we havent tried yet.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Nobody really says anything to me. I don't think I want to have any more kids but only God knows lol
    my_monkey_baby

Answer by my_monkey_baby at 5:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, Dh and I are still undecided about whether we want to have more kids. I told my family that we might only have one, and they were completely against it. I asked their reasons, and they had silly reasons. Now that I'm an adult, I can see that it doesn't matter how many kids a person has, the family is still a family regardless. As for having more, the only reason that we would, is to give my Dd someone to play with consistently throughout her childhood.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 6:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i have one because i am a single parent and i don't have a SO right now. maybe in the future there will be more children. who knows. right now i am enjoying the one and only i have.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:39 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I've never heard of a "single child" prejudice before. Why would people take it out on your child who is innocent and powerless in this?

Maybe you could BS the strangers into thinking you do have another child whose off at college or living with an Ex or something if that gets the ignorant ones off your back. Of course that wouldn't work with family and friends, just people who don't know you and would never find out.

I've only given birth once, but it was twins. So in a sense I would only have had one child too and we didn't want more right now. Just turned out we got 2 at the same time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I only have one. Hes five. My hubbys family is always (since john was like 4 months old!! Hes FIVE now) when Thomas & I are going to have more. Its annoying.. We get picked on about it.

Having one isn't really a choice, I would love to have more, but I have a problem carrying to full term, Ive had four misscarriages, I really dont want my son growing up to be an only child. I have lots of brothers & sisters, while Thomas has none. Its something we would both love to change, but I can't... We're trying..... I just havent seemed to gotten with child yet. So If it happens it happens if it doesnt, well I have one amazingly beautiful (inside & out) Caring, sweety, loving little guy...... & that will be enough for me.

as for them, I tell them I'll have more if they can pay the bills. =)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010