What would cause this horrible smell??

My Dh wears a uniform to work, and lately, he's just been leaving his work shirt on and staying home after work. Well, this past weekend, he put a shirt on out of his dresser, and it gave off the most horrible smell! I don't know what it is, but I'm having to wash all the shirts in the drawer because of this smell. It had only been a week since he'd opened the draw, and there was nothing unusual in the drawer, I just emptied it. Any ideas? They are all getting washed...maybe twice lol

Mom2unangel

Asked by Mom2unangel at 6:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I agree with the ladies...it may have sit in the washer too long before drying, and that leaves quite an odor on the clothes. Either that, or maybe they were not quite all the way dry when you folded them and put them away. I've done that before with towels...they were hot and felt dry, when in fact, they weren't all the way dry and started to smell after a day or so in the cabinet. Now I'm sure to really dry them well and I've not had a problem since.
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 7:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• without smelling it it could be anything from sweat to onions to playing with the dog or working on a greasy machine... anything
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:25 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I've learned fish is a hard smell to get out. I dunno, maybe toss it out and get a new one? or take it to a dry cleaners? try using color safe bleach?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Well, I only put clean shirts in this drawer... so it couldn't really have been any of that.
    Mom2unangel

Comment by Mom2unangel (original poster) at 6:29 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Maybe mildew? Maybe the shirts sat in the washer too long before going in the drier? Wash them again and use extra detergent. Add some ammonia to the wash.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• my guess would be mildew too...sometimes it hangs on even after something has been washed .
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 7:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2010