What age range should a child be speaking in broken/full sentences?

My Dd is 16 months old, and says about 10 words. Is this too few? Should she be saying more?

She says Dada, No, shakes her head yes and no, says yes, waves bye, says bubble, this, that, Mom (occasionally), and that's pretty much it.

I'm just wondering when she should be learning new words to say on her own. She'll repeat words, but doesn't say them on her own, like toes when we're doing body parts and head...but she only repeats them, she won't say them on her own yet.
Also, when should she be pulling words together? She usually says one at a time, although sometimes she'll say "Dada, no no" or "dada, bubble" but it's not to him, just babbling.

Mom2unangel

Asked by Mom2unangel at 6:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she is 16months old. my daughter is 17months old and she does the same thing. and i know mine is not delayed. and she just did bye bye mama the other day. don't worry too much. they are still babies. what is the rush?
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• mine needed speech therapy. He had tubes in his ears for awhile and had delayed speech. He may not be able to hear himself, hence the delay? Might wanna get that checked, but kids learn when they learn. There's no deadline.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at eighteen months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would say she is maybe a little below average...Mine was not "the norm", he spoke complete sentences by 12 months and paragraphs by 18.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i think that sounds about right - all kids develop at their own pace. If you have a concern talk to the doctor, but I bet he will tell you that your baby is fine. She's still very young.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2010