Any suggestions for easing fear of flying?

I have to fly at least once every couple of years and it is a long 12 yr. flight. I usually take a benedryl since it is an overnight flight but don't really sleep since I like to keep my eyes on my kids during the flight. Take off and landing are the hardest for me. Anyone had success in calming yourselves or others? Any ideas?

minasmama6

Asked by minasmama6 at 7:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Travel

• What I do is just listen to my favorite music, and close my eyes. Oh and praying helps to ease my fears, too!
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 7:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• they got pills for it everywhere you can by over the counter
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:25 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I usually have a cocktail or 2. Lol
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Go to your Dr and tell them your problem, they can give you a prescription to help. I'm sure it is some kind of anti anxiety pill or something similar.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:04 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't mean to over exaggerate. I do start dreading it a couple of weeks prior, but I usually can cope without the meds. I don't drink alcohol but I have also relied on prayer and humming hymns and other music that calms me during the rough spots. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
    minasmama6

Comment by minasmama6 (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Ask your Dr for 1 or how many days you have to fly pills to relax you. My doctor gives me Valium. I don't like to fly but after I take my pill I'm just fine, very relaxed. I'm claustophobic so I hate to fly.
    chrissy901

Answer by chrissy901 at 8:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2010