How wld you feel vet question Reg(dog with seizures)

my chocolate lab has seizures she has for the last few years...she takes phenebarbital to control them..well yesterday i go to the vet to get her rx bc shes out..well the hag behind the counter politely tells me i have to get her bloodwork done before they will fill the rx again...my reply was i dont have $200 sitting around right now my dh has just went back to work..her reply is well it has to be done..i asked to put it off a few weeks she declines..so my next comment was you mean to tell me that you are not going to give her meds knowing she needs them to live and she says not until bloodwork..i said well i guess she will have to seize and die bc you are to sorry to help her out...What kind of person is this???? They know she needs the meds...Im mad and heartbroke at the same time...how would you feel or handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pets

• There's a reason they need the bloodwork. Prescribing a dog drugs with no idea of what's happening to the dog is irresponsible and could kill her.
    Get a loan, get the money, get a vet who will take monthly payments.

Don't give your dog drugs without knowing exactly what she needs.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 8:09 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would go to another vet, explain the situation, if that one doesn't give you the meds, then I would go to another one. Keep trying until you find one that understands your situation. Either that or ask your original vet if they take payments so that you can get the bloodwork done, and get the meds.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• @ Piscie the vet know the meds and why she needs them, there is no reason why they could not let her slide for 2 weeks it is far better not to stop the meds because he will have more seizures and IT WILL BE the offices fault. Now as far as the office can you talk to the doc and explain the situation?? Our vet is very understanding and would do this but you need to try and get the bloodwork done as soon as you can, have you tried to get a "Care Now " credit card, it is a card that alot of vets will take and it work at alot of human docs and dentist offices as well. Message me if you need to talk my papillon has them and as a matter of fact we are dealing with this right now there was a storm and he just took valium to prevent him from having one , or at least I am trying.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Have they done that to you before? If it was something that is a regular thing, then I wouldn't be angry.

If, however, they just decided to do that because the woman had PMS, then it's not right. Go back, ask to speak to the vet alone, and explain your situation. Tell them you are worried for your dog and if he can do the blood work and wait for payment, you'd appreciate it. Perhaps you could leave him some money, even 30 dollars...

Good Luck
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Try and talk to the vet directly ~ and bypass the bean counter at the front desk. Don't get me wrong, that's her job, but as a returning client the vet is far more likely to work with you than looking for a new one. Ultimately it IS up the whichever vet owns the practice, and s/he can override the front desk rules.

As others have suggested, Care Credit is an option, and they will give anyone at least $500 to start. The payments (minimum) are around $17 a month for that amount and you can pay off early with no penalty. Also, if you pay it in the first 6 months there is no credit. For a short term option it is ideal (even though I detest the underlying business they run).

Talk to your vet in person or on the phone first, or hit the Care Credit website. They will let you know within minutes ~ and than you can get the bloodwork, and more importantly the meds your dog needs. Good luck and give your pup a scritch from me.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i would call and ask to talk to the "vet", not the receptionist bitch behind the counter and explain the situation. ask to refill meds if you set up a appointment for within the next few weeks for the bloodwork. Im sorry, i know that has to hurt. gl.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 11:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• OP HERE::::To all of you: Korysmom96, Acid, Farmlady09 and indysownlilbit..thankyou for your concern and great advice..a few of you mentioned this card that i have never heard of..im going to check into that right now..you are all so right it is so so upsetting to be treated that way when all i was trying to do was get Sundae(lab) help...she means the world to me...and I have such a hard time when she has seizures..mainly bc they have told me that one day it will be a seizure to take her away from me that the meds will only work for so many years..I am trying to hold onto her as long as possible, shes such a good friend and companion..Thanks ladies you have been such a great help
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I feel the same way about my fur babies and ur right they are sometimes ur best friends especially in the world we live in today. The thing that I think bothers me most is that the vet office knows what happends if you run out of meds and they are still willing to make the pup suffer, sounds like they have issues. I have a dog that has these and they are scary. Keep me posted plz on how ur both are doing. Message me if you need to talk!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Its very important your dog gets regular bloodwork if they are on any type of medication for a prolonged period.
    The bloodwork is to determine if the medication is having a side effect on her body - which could lead to your dogs death
    if its not caught in time.
    However - you should discuss with the vet - not the lady at the counter - the possibility of giving you half the script to give you time
    to find the money for the bloodwork.

FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 7:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2010