Phenabarb...is it possible?

my dog needs phenabarb to control seizures..the vet refuses to give her any meds without bloodwork that i cannot afford right now..my question is i have an aunt that also used to take phenabarb to control her seizures if its the same dose and my aunt no longer needs them would it be safe to give them to my dog??? I know shes a dog and my aunt is human but are the drugs the same? I know the dose would have to be the same..Im just desperate and dont want to lose my dog I love her so much..shes my heart i just cant afford the bloodwork for a few more weeks then it will be no prob..please dont bash me..Im just clueless what to do to help her...and of course if i ask the vet this question about the drugs being the same she wont tell me..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2010 in Pets

• A humans body is a lot bigger and a lot stronger than an animals. The dose would not be the same and the ingredents would be different as well. Some medicines will react very differently with animals vs. humans. What would help a human, might actually kill an animal. Some regular doses would be okay for us, but lethal for an animal. So personally, I wouldn't do it. Maybe you could try to borrow the money from someone since you said you'll have it in a few weeks? Or maybe even go to a vet who would be willing to bill you with it and you can pay it off in a few weeks with one lump sum.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 8:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Giving any drug to a dog without knowing what you're doing is, frankly, stupid.
    The bloodwork needs to be done for a reason, the vet needs that information to give your dog the right dose of drugs, and to look for any other problems.
    Get to a vet who will allow monthly payments, and NEER give your dog human drugs. Dogs are not people. Even though the phenobarb might be the same, the physical drugs are not. They could havbe things in them that are great for humans, but deadly to dogs.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 8:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Wow Thanks Piskie..you basically called me stupid for trying to be a good pet owner...I just simply asked..And common sense would also tell YOU if you had read the question that I know the bloodwork needs to be DONE DUH! I live in a small town and I only have two choices on vets..I did contact the other one and they were also no help at this time..NONE OF THESE VETS TAKE PAYMENTS..OUT OF THE QUESTION...and sometimes you can use human drugs on animals..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Before you do that, try a vounteer no-kill type animal shelter. They may have info on an agency that may be able to see your pet without payment or very little. Kind of like a scholarship for dogs. In my state (N.C.) we have The Animal Compassion Network tht helps families with several different issues. Don' t Give Up! If you can't find a number to call in your area, please send me an email and the state you live in along with all your pet's problems and I will see what I can do to help you through my connections. My email is gurka1967@yahoo.com.
    gurka1967

Answer by gurka1967 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• What were the milligrams of your dogs previous medication? What is your aunts milligrams? You could cut the pills in quarters. Obviously your Aunts dosage is higher than the dog needs. I would email gurka1967. Good luck & I hope your doggy feels better :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I know for fact there are alot of meds that are the same for animals but like the others said different doses, but it is always a risk in doing it with out the advice of a vet. Would you qualify for a payday load or is there something you can pawn or try to get a "Care Credit" card if ur approved you can use it the same day. Best of luck to you and ur fur baby!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• A lot but not all Dog and human medications are the same. My echo has a lot of leg issues and one of his meds I can only get from a human pharmacy.
    When he had his operation - he had a transdermal patch on that is used on humans.

However I dont think you will get the proper dosage you need for your dog from your aunts old medication.
    It is a very dangerous road you're driving. I would really see if you can't scratch together the dough to get the bloodwork done.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 7:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010